Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Re: Would you be interested in a campaigning site?

Patsy's been at the Sherry again!!!
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 02:41 PM

Lol you lot ....

very sober person here today
woops ~ hijacking thread
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Lol you lot ....

very sober person here today
woops ~ hijacking thread

Now I could be rude and say that makes a change Rachel darlin' - but the thought never entered my head.
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the replies everyone - I'm so glad so many of you are involved in campaigns, hopefully I can pick your brains a bit more

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I think it would be an excellent idea. People feel so impotent about the way things are going and it would be a good way for people to put across their anxiety/disappointment/worry/etc rather than the daunting task of having to face authorities on their own.

I suppose it would depend on how it's operated - if it's a bit like a Patients Reresentative Group or a Tenants Association type thing, I imagine it would be quite popular once it is known about.
Thanks BV!

It will be more a site where anyone can set up a campaign, then they can either recruit people themselves or can list their campaign publicly and other people visiting the site can see if they want to join it or not

More details below...

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I'm in two such campaigning groups already - 38 degrees and Avaaz, so I'm not interested in joining another one.
Hi Alan, my understanding is Avaaz is a petition site and 38 degrees is the same - unless they decide to take on a campaign themselves officially? If that's right, then it defaults to a petition site for everyone else (and there are loads of those out there - like change.org).

My idea is slightly different, a proper campaign organising site - where you organise the actual campaigns, not just list the petitions (to begin with, the petitions won't even be on our site - we will recommend people use change.org or any of the other petitions sites).

Our aims will be different, and at the moment I am thinking it could work something like this:

Anyone can set up a campaign - by doing so they become the organiser.

The organiser can make other people who have joined the campaign joint organisers too.

Stage 1: Getting a plan together. The organisers set out what and how the rest of the community/group can help with the campaign - so ask for suggestions, draft letters, put up info etc. The organisers can sticky important things, and everyone else can vote on which items they like best.

Stage 2: Acting on it! So once the whole group has decided on the best course of action, the campaigners officialy add 'to-do' lists. Eg: 1) Sign peition on change.org, 2) email local MP, 3) attend protest on a specific date. Then everyone else can either say they intend to do the following, and then tick each item of as they do it.

So basically, it's a proper campaign organising site - not just a petition site and not where you are at the mercy of another site (perhaps like 38 degrees) in whether they take on your plight or not. The power is with you, and everyone else who feels the same way as you.

In short, it's for people who are fired up about something - and the site will help unify them.

Does that explain it better and show how it will be different?

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Wait till 5th November Azz matey and I'll seek help with planting a few pounds of Semtex.
LOL UJ!! You'll get us shut-down before we even start you will have to think of something more socially (and legally!) acceptable

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've always managed to find plenty of campaigns to join about things I am worried about, people are already running them. With the internet and google etc so many people are campaigning I just look to join their efforts.

Too many people starting campaigns already really it dilutes the effect you can have if there is one nationwide one you have much more chance of being heard lots of little ones do very good because people won't listen to just a few voices.
Hi Julie, if you read my reply to Alan above you will see how we will be different. When I looked there was nothing around that helps you organise a campaign from start right through to finish. Lots of petition sites around, or campaign organisations like (38 degrees) who 'might' officially take on your campaign. But nothing that empowers people to get unified and truly see the campaign through to the end.

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Like UJ. ive used 38 degrees so they do exist, not sure what will be different about yours Azz.

Sorry UJ that should have read. Like Alan Cooke,must take time when relying to freds
Hi Nom, please take a look at my replies to Alan and Julie - hopefully that shows how we could be different. Once you've had a read please let me know what you think

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
It seems that people tend to use facebook and other such sites for campaigns. Not sure how effective they are, though.
I am not sure they are effective either tbh, unless they have some sort of app that does what I entailed above?

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
Whoa ~ misread that Azz

Thought it said 'Camping Site'
Lol, nutter
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 03:33 PM

And Azz you would see I already feel there are people and places I can join to campaign. If you need to set up another site feel free but I was just saying there are enough places for my campaigning if a thing really needs doing someone ot there is already trying to do it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Patsy's been at the Sherry again!!!
you know me so well
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 04:27 PM

Wish you all the best Azz ......
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 04:51 PM

"Tipple syndrome" I like that!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Just had one thought what are the legal implications of a site like that ? would you be responsible for what campaigns went on ?
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2014, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Wish you all the best Azz ......
Thanks Pat!

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Just had one thought what are the legal implications of a site like that ? would you be responsible for what campaigns went on ?
I don't think it would be any different to say any other site which can be used to organise campaigns Julie - well, so long as everything was kept above board and people weren't planning on breaking the law

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top