Join for free
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 08:16 PM

Re: Papal Conclave

Ha!, Oh wouldn't I just love to be a bookie, they are like landlords at closing time "We have your dough, now you can go."
I haven't looked at the list of runners, although I'd imagine the Irish runner is a big outsider, considering even St, Patrick couldn't make it to the throne, so where does that leave Cardinal Brady, might risk a fiver each way @100/1, we haven't got good form over this track, the smart money would be on an Italian I would imagine.

Gambling on papal elections has at least a 500-year history. Betting on 16th-century papal conclaves are among the first documented examples of gambling on election outcomes.[1] During the same period, gambling was also common on the outcomes of secular Italian elections, such as that of the Doge of Venice.[2]
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Gambling on papal elections has at least a 500-year history. Betting on 16th-century papal conclaves are among the first documented examples of gambling on election outcomes.
Gambling: one more notable influence of religion.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 08:42 PM

Rumour has it a 33/1 outsider has entered the race?

mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Ha!, Oh wouldn't I just love to be a bookie, they are like landlords at closing time "We have your dough, now you can go."
I haven't looked at the list of runners, although I'd imagine the Irish runner is a big outsider, considering even St, Patrick couldn't make it to the throne, so where does that leave Cardinal Brady, might risk a fiver each way @100/1, we haven't got good form over this track, the smart money would be on an Italian I would imagine.

Gambling on papal elections has at least a 500-year history. Betting on 16th-century papal conclaves are among the first documented examples of gambling on election outcomes.[1] During the same period, gambling was also common on the outcomes of secular Italian elections, such as that of the Doge of Venice.[2]
Jem. Running a book on God's right hand man. You will burn in hell.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 06:20 PM

Anyone else heard that the papal conclave is triggering more doomsday theories based on St. Malachy and Nostradamus?
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 06:28 PM

Doomed I tell yea, we're all doomed
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

13-03-2013, 08:31 PM

So now there is a Frankie instead of a Benny! The appointment of Pope Francis I (Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio) from Argentina doesn't seem too popular as he is old, 76, a traditionalist, and a Jesuit. I doubt he is going to reform the whole corrupt edifice!
mesco m
manchester

13-03-2013, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
So now there is a Frankie instead of a Benny! The appointment of Pope Francis I (Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio) from Argentina doesn't seem too popular as he is old, 76, a traditionalist, and a Jesuit. I doubt he is going to reform the whole corrupt edifice!
I think you may well be wrong.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2013, 09:37 PM

Perhaps we should give the new appointee a chance.

It will not be easy presiding over 1.2 Billion Catholics.

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2013, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by mesco m ->
I think you may well be wrong.
Won't make a scrap of difference to me whether he does or doesn't since I'm an Atheist and have long ago rejected all religion. As Karl Marx said: "Religion is the opiate of the masses" and I refuse to be drugged by it!!!

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top