Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 10:28 PM

Re: Boiler Service

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Gas boilers need servicing every year to prevent them discharging CO2 into the air which could kill you. You should also get a 'Gas Safety Certificate' for your house Insurance. If things go wrong, and you don't have the certificate, your insurance may be invalidated.
That interesting UJ, I didn't know anything about that. Is the gas man supposed to give us the certificate at the time of service?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
That interesting UJ, I didn't know anything about that. Is the gas man supposed to give us the certificate at the time of service?
Yes Mups. It's validation that your boiler is safe to use and, if you were selling your house, you'd have to produce evidence that the boiler has been serviced.

It's the same with gas fires and cookers as well, if you're selling, that is.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-08-2013, 10:51 PM

Thankyou Mollie. I have always got the engineer to sign the 'Service Book', would that suffice? Is that the same as a certificate?
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 12:42 AM

Thankyou Mollie. I have always got the engineer to sign the 'Service Book', would that suffice? Is that the same as a certificate?
Not sure lass to be honest, but somebody would know. I think you have to have an actual authenticated certificate of gas safety. Somebody else will surely reply to this.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 08:54 AM

No Jean darlin' - you need an actual 'safety certificate'. - a signature in the service book isn't sufficient for your household insurance.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 10:22 AM

Asked the gasman when he serviced my boiler the other day about this certificate and he looked at me like I was mad, apparently rental property owners get one but he has never produced one for a tenant or home owner. The signature in the service book is fine for insurance and proving it's been done.

He is a proper British Gas service man too so I trust he knows what he is doing.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2013, 11:24 AM

I agree Julie, our service man makes out a fault/check list sheet which also serves as a reciept, and that is proof enough I would have thought, although it is news to me that these things are demanded by your insurance company, never heard of that one other than for commercial landlord insurances..
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-08-2013, 08:39 PM

We pay £17 a month to Baxi to service our boiler which is a Baxi and insure it for breakdown (spare parts) and labour. They service it once a year.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top