Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
buttercup
Wiltshire
buttercup is female  buttercup has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 03:23 PM

Re: Did you send your children to boarding school?

I wouldn't have sent my daughter to boarding school even if I could have afforded it as she was very shy and sensitive. However, my nephew went to one when he was eleven, (Bryanston) and absolutely loved it, making friends for life and came out of it a very confident and well educated young man. It depends very much on the personality of the child and funds of course.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-09-2010, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by buttercup ->
I wouldn't have sent my daughter to boarding school even if I could have afforded it as she was very shy and sensitive. However, my nephew went to one when he was eleven, (Bryanston) and absolutely loved it, making friends for life and came out of it a very confident and well educated young man. It depends very much on the personality of the child and funds of course.
Absolutely.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 07:52 AM

Both my kids went to normal state schools, uni and both got
1:1 degrees in Chemical Engineering and Biological Engineering.
Both worked for the same firm as Senior management.
My son is now retired, my daughter travels the country doing
Health and Safety Environment audits, both mingled with the
top entertainment artist and were invited to Cliff Richards 60th birthday bash, both have been to one of the Queens garden parties.

Two of their work colleagues and one old work colleague of mine all who went to Boarding schools are now living in one of HRH private establishments learning new skills.

You do not have to go to boarding school to turn out right.

I believe parents and society help with that.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 08:09 AM

yes. Sam won a Choir scholarship to Hereford Cathedral School when he was 9. The following year my husband left so I think I was the only woman on Social Security with a child at Public School, because when I asked the SS for help with fares to visit hem they had to refer it to Head Office (who said if he was in Borstal they would - but not in an Independant School).
He was there till his voice broke, when he decided to leave and went to State School, where he was 2 years ahead of them so had to keep his head down for a bit.
The teaching was immeasurably better - class sized of 8-10, excellent pastoral care - they took the children swimming, riding, to the Theatre etc.
Dancingsky
None
Dancingsky is female  Dancingsky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 08:13 AM

Our two younger daughters attended the school where my husband was head teacher for part of their secondary education. They did get some stick from other kids because their Dad was the head, but they did ok out of the experience and both went on to uni.
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 09:48 AM

I wouldn't have sent my child to boarding school, they grow up so quickly and I wouldn't have wanted to miss that. My daughter went to an independent school and was very happy there.
Dancingsky
None

20-09-2010, 10:00 AM

When our two younger girls reached 16 we permitted them to live in a town house of ours in the city where they went to school, we lived 20 miles away in Wales. It was on the understanding that they behaved themselves and didn't have a party unless they ran it by us first. I heard on the grapevine our middle girl was planning a party, nothing terrible by today's standards, but against our rules! To teach her a lesson I waited until all her guests had arrived then put in an appearance! I sat down pleasantly among her schoolfriends and questioned them about what they wanted to do when they left school etc. For good measure I gave them some anecdotes about our girl when she was little, all the time she was cringing in the corner. Having made my point I took my leave of them! I think she is still getting over that humiliation 20 years later.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by qetta ->
When our two younger girls reached 16 we permitted them to live in a town house of ours in the city where they went to school, we lived 20 miles away in Wales. It was on the understanding that they behaved themselves and didn't have a party unless they ran it by us first. I heard on the grapevine our middle girl was planning a party, nothing terrible by today's standards, but against our rules! To teach her a lesson I waited until all her guests had arrived then put in an appearance! I sat down pleasantly among her schoolfriends and questioned them about what they wanted to do when they left school etc. For good measure I gave them some anecdotes about our girl when she was little, all the time she was cringing in the corner. Having made my point I took my leave of them! I think she is still getting over that humiliation 20 years later.
Do you try to humiliate everyone who does not live by YOUR rules?

The only rules we had for our kids from the age of five,was 'You Decide'.

We gave them advice, for and against, and they had to decide for themselves and live with the consequencies.

We are not the rulers of life, just the people who should pass on experiences of what may happen in certain circumstances.
claireandaisy
Essex
claireandaisy is female  claireandaisy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-09-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
We gave them advice, for and against, and they had to decide for themselves and live with the consequencies.

We are not the rulers of life, just the people who should pass on experiences of what may happen in certain circumstances.
agree. Sam was the one who wanted to try for public school and he decided when to leave. My job was to make sure he knew the pros and cons, and to support him in his choice.
Dancingsky
None

20-09-2010, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by Antibrown ->
Do you try to humiliate everyone who does not live by YOUR rules?

The only rules we had for our kids from the age of five,was 'You Decide'.

Whilst our children were living under our roof our rules applied, end of! Having said that we have a great relationship with our kids who enjoyed their childhood very much. I wish I could have said the same about mine!

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top