Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 03:57 PM

Re: M r s a

That does sound horrific Twiz. I thought Nurses got 2 years training before they became a Nurse so where has it gone wrong. Even I a non Nurse knows about hygiene and have brought two kids up with all the kids diseases and cuts and bruises without a bad infection like MRSA. I have
also had cats and other animals and always wash my hands after touching them as well as taking care of scratches you get sometimes. To me its
just general knowledge of how to do something and be clean.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 05:13 PM

Worse place to be ill in is hospital it seems.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 05:57 PM

Surgical wards tend to be a lot better than medical wards.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 06:57 PM

My OH went to visit an old friend in a nearby hospital...he sat on the patients bed! ..(wouldn't have happened if I had been with him)
He was promptly pounced on by the Infection Control Nurse, he felt a bit sheepish when he got home and told me about it.

Visitors take in a lot of germs which have become resistent to anti-biotics...it's not simply a case of hospitals being 'dirty'
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 07:13 PM

In the case of Twiz - it was !
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 07:21 PM

MRSA is not a flesh eating bacterium. MRSA stands for methelicilin resistant staph aureus. Healthy people have it. It ususally colonizes in the nose or in the urinary tract, and every single one of us has it on our skin right this minute. It's when we become very old and very ill and unable to use our natural defenses to fight it off that it can become opportunistic and infect wounds. It also can be treated successfully with Vancomyacin.

The condition that is caused by the so called Flesh eating bacteria is Necrotizing faciitis, which destroys muscles and skin, is caused by many bacteria. When it occurs on the genitals it's called Fornnier Gangrene. BUT the one that causes the most severe form is Streptococcus pyogenes. This is one of the bacteria that causes strep throat or impetigo. Again, it's all around us all the time. It depends on the exact right conditions in order to be so destructive. You have a higher chance of contracting the very rare condition if you have a weak immune system. Chronic health problems like diabetes, cancer or liver disease.. Have cuts in you skin. had a recent viral infection like chickenpox or use steroid medications.

and yes.. hospitals are filthy germy places. There's a bunch of darn sick people in them. It's not really a matter of negligence on the part of the hospital.. By their very nature hospitals have germs. I always wonder why people insist in bringing their babies and young children there to visit people.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2013, 08:28 PM

I do my best to avoid Hospitals, don't we all says you, anytime I was in Hospital I didn't like people visiting me except my immediate Family, a lot of folks visit out of curiosity and something to talk about on the way home, they might be only remotely related to you or 'friends' but they all want a good gawk for themselves, and as much as you'd like to you can't very well tell them to piss off, they decide when they want to go not you. You are just lying there and have absolutely no say in who walks in, doesn't matter if you are not in the best of form some silly bugger will walk in and torment you until they decided you've had enough, and just when you think your luck is changing some sour faced nurse comes along and sticks a needle in your arse, no I wanna die at home thank you.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 10:03 AM

Visit to hospital last night left me wondering how bad it has to get to get someone to do something - no running water in the toilet basins ? I mean absolutely no water coming out of the tap. Filthy doesn't cover it, looked like hadn't been cleaned in weeks, if it had been then surely someone would have fixed the tap ?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Visit to hospital last night left me wondering how bad it has to get to get someone to do something - no running water in the toilet basins ? I mean absolutely no water coming out of the tap. Filthy doesn't cover it, looked like hadn't been cleaned in weeks, if it had been then surely someone would have fixed the tap ?

That is despicable Julie, - don't stand for that, COMPLAIN!!! to the Hospital's CEO and since hospital 'standards' are now once again a 'live' issue, the Care Quality Commission!!!
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-12-2013, 10:31 AM

I think it's marvelous what they can do now with skin, this is the arm of a woman who lost her ear and they were able to 'Grow' another in her arm, when it was 'Ripe' they grafted it on to replace the missing ear. I was going to ask if she wore an Earwig while she was waiting but I won't.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top