Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 04:41 PM

Re: Are pets eating our valuable resources.(split from plague thread )

Originally Posted by Willow ->
When you think what your animal eats don't you have any conscience at all about the starving in this world? Pets in the West eat a heck of a lot better than people in many poor countries. I am sickened when I see food in supermarkets aimed at pets these days. Pampered pets make me SICK as do their SICK owners, who are evil, imo.
Willow I certainly don't have any conscience about giving my pets the best food I can and I don't feed the rubbish they sell in supermarkets either .

I would put my pets before many humans. For me they serve a valuable function and that is more than can be said for some of our own species.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 05:00 PM

I'm one with genuine feelings for other people and their suffering. However, I am totally lost on your reasoning Willow. There is no connection with their plight and 'pet food'. The waste of food - yes. Even in our country, people are hungry, yet supermarkets persist in throwing out edible food...
'This' makes me angry.....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Pet owners who pamper their pets are not sick, merely misguided and prone to fits of anthropomorphism (spelling?). The pet food market must be worth millions of pounds a year and the people who own the companies must be laughing all the way to the bank.

As for pets eating up valuable human food - no, I don't think that the two are related. I don't have any pets, but I spend a fair amount feeding the windlife round my garden. I do not expect them to 'love' me - animals do not 'love' you. My satisfaction comes from simply watching them.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 05:45 PM

George - how do you 'know' animals do not love you....
I have seen their love - many times in my life, horses - dogs - cats - birds..
I 'know' I am not wrong on this....
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Pets certainly should come into the equation when you think how much the flipping things eat!
So what would you rather then??? We starve the "flipping things"??????

I am a laid back guy and rarely make enemies but good God you're grating on me now!
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 06:02 PM

I must confess - I am satan incarnate as I own 12 dogs and founded and run a breed welfare organisation which rescues and rehomes unwanted dogs.
I don't smoke, don't drink, shop in charity shops, don't bet, don't take holidays and as well as my work for canine charity, also spend a lot of time helping out a children's charity. If I had no dogs, would I give the money I would save to the Third World? No, I wouldn't. While I feel horror and sorrow for the plight of those struggling in the Third World, I have absolutely no confidence that any of the money given in aid to these countries is of any long term benefit at all. At worst it all disappears into the pockets of corrupt "leaders" and at best you are keeping some poor sod alive long enough to make the situation worse by enabling them to produce a new generation of unsustainable mouths to feed.
It is a horrible and almost insoluble problem. To make the simplistic suggestion that western pets contribute to the problem is naive in the extreme.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 06:08 PM

Pets certainly should come into the equation when you think how much the flipping things eat!
You seem to think that all animals are somehow inferior to man but I would argue that the opposite is in fact true. Mankind is nothing more than a parasite on the Earth, he pillages nature for his own selfish ends where animals just take what they need to survive. I fear that man before long will destroy this planet and every creature on it, the goose and the golden egg come to mind...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Mick B....
There are ways to ensure donations are handled correctly. There are decent people that give up their time to actually go out to these countries and hand over the goods to the people, and help educate and - build, and supply schools with books and pens - in other words 'hands on' The 'little' charities are worth donating to..
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-01-2013, 07:11 PM

Willow said
"Pampered pets make me SICK as do their SICK owners, who are evil, imo"

We have always used and manipulated animals in one way or another Willow; so why should keeping a pet - pampered or not - be any different or considered "sick" or "evil". Some pet animals are misguidedly pampered (for want of a better word) to the extent that their real needs are not met (and I suspect the animal would rather it was not in the situation). Animals have a great companionship and therapeutic value for many people and, therefore, they serve a valid purpose. What our pets consume will have no real impact on the World's resources.
Since early childhood I have had a deep and almost instinctive fascination for all other forms of life and I have always kept animals of some sort or another - as many as my parents would tolerate. I enjoy having them around. Even the tadpoles, newts, mice and other beasties I kept as a child were my charges and pets. I would collect anything - including all the neighbourhood dogs, when I could get my hands on them. I consider I was blessed with this fascination and it is part of who and what I am and I make no apology for myself. It has in no way diminished as I have aged and find it hard to understand other ways of thinking. It goes beyond something to look after and nurture, although that does have something to do with I am sure.
If that makes me sick then - I must have always been pretty sick - beyond recovery.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

23-01-2013, 07:27 PM

Lovely post Rena, I share your sentiments, animals are 'precious' ...

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top