Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 03:41 PM

Re: where has fairgrounds vanished too ?

When I go back to see my mum the boy in me remembers the fair that used to come when I was about 4-6?. I loved the fair ground men-males who laughed rather than that other man I was learning to hate.

That field is now a housing estate
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Now that you mentioned it Toffee there hasn't been one around our area in donkeys years, there used to be three or four every year when I was a kid in the 1950's.
Obviously more profitable for them to come to Cork, Jem!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 04:11 PM

Proper old fashioned fair grounds are a thing of the past.
OH's great great grandparents were travelling circus people grandpa a tightrope walker and Marie was a fair lady who rode horse bareback and jumped through rings of fire..

These kinds of shows largley died out during or just after the second world war..Live animals are no longer allowed to be exploited ( thank goodness) and people just dont want to see clowns anymore.

The modern idea of a fairground with mechanised rides is a victim of ever demanding audience and and ever stricter health and saftey regime.
The audience want thrills and the health and safety say if has to be safe ..
The rides are hugely expensive and many councils charge the earth for a weekend pitch.
The mind boggles at the prices..
http://www.amusementtrader.com/313/E...NEW-MODEL.html
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 04:13 PM

How lovely Cass - I have affection for troupers
I like the old fashioned fairgrounds, wouldn't want to go to todays offerings at all
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 04:18 PM

My mother in law always told the story about her grandma and how she had been a bareback rider but no one believed her..

But tracing back I found it was true so we owned mum an apology!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 04:22 PM

Wouldn't it have been great to have a picture of her ..........
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 04:34 PM

We still get one around here , it looks dingy and dirty.

I guess some fairgrounds have 'gone to the wall' because of the stringent health and safety regulations around these days. All that taking down and putting up rides can lead to dangerous unsafe equipment.

I guess the fairgrounds of old have been superseded by the Theme/Amusement Parks.

For anyone interested in traditional and victorian attractions I can wholeheartedly recommend Watermouth Castle in North Devon http://www.watermouthcastle.com/
it is a magical place and beautifully kept.

Oops sorry Cass just seen your similar post...
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2015, 04:41 PM

Ooo it looks so pretty - lovely
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-05-2015, 04:50 PM

The fair comes to one of the parks down town here every year, and a smaller version goes to the village about 5 miles away where I lived before as well.
One problem is, although parents still seem to take their young kids along, at night time, older yobs hang out there too, so I wouldn't want to go, especially on my own.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

15-05-2015, 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
The fair comes to one of the parks down town here every year, and a smaller version goes to the village about 5 miles away where I lived before as well.
One problem is, although parents still seem to take their young kids along, at night time, older yobs hang out there too, so I wouldn't want to go, especially on my own.
That's the problem, never saw any trouble when I used to go, just good clean fun - it was smashing

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top