Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 03:49 PM

Re: Replacing fridge and freezer light bulbs

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
The socket is behind the fridge freezer.
This means that I have to crawl through the gap between that and the boiler and try to stretch my arm around the back of the F/F and hope I've located the correct switch.

AND havind accomplished the task of replacing both bulbs, I will have to crawl around the floor again to switch the ******* ******* thing back on

Aching too much at the moment. Had to move stuff in the garden.
I know what you mean now we have that problem at work, they tuck everything away nice and neat out of sight but it's a PITA if you need to change anything.
Can you turn the breaker off in the consumer unit?
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 03:56 PM

Changing a bulb should be very simples. I wouldn't personally unplug the freezer or oven to do it. If you are worried then just put on a pair of rubber gloves or 2 pairs.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Changing a bulb should be very simples. I wouldn't personally unplug the freezer or oven to do it. If you are worried then just put on a pair of rubber gloves or 2 pairs.
Wear a wet suit (not a Burkini) and flippers as well!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 04:07 PM

The socket is behind the fridge freezer.
This means that I have to crawl through the gap between that and the boiler and try to stretch my arm around the back of the F/F and hope I've located the correct switch.

AND havind accomplished the task of replacing both bulbs, I will have to crawl around the floor again to switch the ******* ******* thing back on

Aching too much at the moment. Had to move stuff in the garden.
In that case turn the power of off at mains to do this two second job
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 04:13 PM

Now look here you lot

You're beginning to freak me out.

The is NO WAY I can unplug the ****** and I'm not switching off the mains.

I managed to get the old bulbs out OK (several weeks ago) and just switched off at the socket.

Anything more complicated than that ... forget it !

Aching even more now, having reconstructed my tortoise's grazing area in readiness for the garden man coming tomorrow

If he wasn't a hefty lump I might have asked him to switch it off
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 04:16 PM

I fail to understand what the oven has to do with my fridge/freezer

yes that was a kind of blonde response but ta for the image in my head
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

05-09-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
In that case turn the power of off at mains to do this two second job
Sorry to be pedantic (is that the correct word ?) but replacing the bulbs is def not a 2 second job.

Firstly, the covering wotsits have to be unscrewed
but it is not possible to actually see where the screws are (they are in the top parts and near the front).

Yes I can use a mirror
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England

05-09-2016, 04:25 PM

As Realist says, wear gloves and screw the bulb in, I presume it is screw type not bayonet.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK

05-09-2016, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Purwell ->
As Realist says, wear gloves and screw the bulb in, I presume it is screw type not bayonet.
Thee is correct

2 bulbs ... an 'American' type F/F
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-09-2016, 04:41 PM

Sorry to be pedantic (is that the correct word ?) but replacing the bulbs is def not a 2 second job.

Firstly, the covering wotsits have to be unscrewed
but it is not possible to actually see where the screws are (they are in the top parts and near the front).

Yes I can use a mirror
Rachel mine is and the bulb doesn't screw in. It is tiny and has two prongs (it's a Bosch)

wearing gloves would be out of the question it is so tiny and fiddly.

I empty fridge so I can remove the shelves to get my head inside,
..turn off the power
..stand on a stool shine a torch on the bulb holder,
..pull one bulb out and put the next one in
..power back on.

It won't hurt the power to be off for 10 minutes or so, mine frequently goes on and off here .

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top