Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 12:49 AM

Re: Scumbag Labour Council fells trees.

Dead right Tessa - and I'm a greenie tree-hugger from way back.

If the trees were in any slight way dangerous to life or property or impeded power lines etc,
in this age of litigation, they would have to go.
Being replaced nearly two for one sounds like a pretty good deal to me - even if the new ones take some time to grow.
One would hope that species have been chosen which will reduce any risk
and thereby reduce Council's insurance premiums and therefore prevent Rate rises for the complainers.
Who would possibly be the first to sue if things went wrong.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 12:59 AM

Ahah this reminds me of when we had one of our trees chopped down due to it being rotten inside. It was a massive elm in the corner of our car park when we had the shop.
The local green Party member was very angry when he heard of our intention and came round threatening us that he'd sit in it to prevent it being chopped down.

I was quite looking forward to him making a spectacle of himself - the local press would have loved it.

He found out that it really was rotten so he backed down...
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 09:51 AM

Yet, a house not far from me, has a massive old beech tree in the front garden and the roots are growing into the drains. The owners of the house have asked the local authority if they can cut the tree down but are refused as it has a Tree Preservation Order on it. There are even restrictions as to how many branches they can remove!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 09:55 AM

Trees are wonderful things but do need maintaining, particularly in an urban setting. Having said that, the methods and abuse of laws used to facilitate this particular episode were deplorable.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-11-2016, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Trees are wonderful things but do need maintaining, particularly in an urban setting. Having said that, the methods and abuse of laws used to facilitate this particular episode were deplorable.
I agree Barry and that was the point of the post. Obviously any tree that is diseased or dangerous would have to be cut down but not all of them were. The fact that they turned up at 4:30am to catch everyone out is very sneaky.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top