Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2010, 04:28 PM

Re: High Street names that have disappeared

For the DIY people there was WIL-SAM-MOR, the painting and decorating shops. You were always guaranteed to find the wallpaper you were looking for there..... they always had a super range to suit all tastes....
bloggsy
Hampshire
bloggsy is male  bloggsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 10:04 PM

I remember Weaver to Wearer a budget price tailor
also Timothy Whites and Taylors bought out by Boots in the 60s
moetmum
Hampshire
moetmum is female  moetmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 10:09 PM

We had a department store in Portsmouth called Landports, that was then taken over by Allders, both folded and the store is now a branch of Debenhams.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 10:21 PM

Freeman, Hardy & Willis and Leonards are two shoe shops that have also gone.

Anyone know if Saxone is still in business?
merz
Chatterbox
Lancashire, UK
merz is female  merz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Freeman, Hardy & Willis and Leonards are two shoe shops that have also gone.

Anyone know if Saxone is still in business?
I remember those two shoe shops Mags-always used to go to F.H. & Willis for shoes. Also had a Saxone shop but that closed many years ago where I am.
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
They used to stock a vast amount of different wools of all colours, didn't they Moli
The shop was full of every kind of wool you could think of...In those days I knitted a lot....
Moli
Aberdeenshire
Moli is female  Moli has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2010, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by moetmum ->
We had a department store in Portsmouth called Landports, that was then taken over by Allders, both folded and the store is now a branch of Debenhams.
I remember Landports too...I am from Fareham, and going to the big shops in Portsmouth was a treat...We alway went via the Gosport ferry!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 07:49 AM

Bata is another name that is gone. They sold inexpensive shoes. 49/11 (or near on £2-50) was a price that might have been seen for a pair of shoes.

I just did a search online for the name and found that, while it might be history on the UK High Street, they still have an Internet presence.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2010, 10:48 AM

John Menzies the national newsagents up here, . . they were taken over by WH Smith.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK

19-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Mountstevens Bakery ......... mmmm - I can recall the smell of their fresh baked cakes now! You used to be able to go in the shop and buy one freshly baked cake of your choice.... no multi packs there or the additives that are put into today's cakes.

There used to be long queues outside the shop before opening on a Good Friday, everyone waiting to buy their hot cross buns and they were proper spiced buns, so different from today's imitations

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top