Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:09 PM

Re: Good old days?

Originally Posted by Browbeaten ->
I used to use that izal as tracing paper when I needed to do homework.
You are right about it being slippery though!
Was that the stuff that came in a box of single sheets? yes it did make great tracing paper, but it could also form very sharp corners and cut the ass off you, no health warnings on the box either.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:12 PM

Sorry guys, they really were the good old days for me. I was an only child and lived with Mum and Dad in quite a large house. Plenty of food on the table and I could never understand why my mates would want to steal apples from the local orchard when there was always a bowl of fruit on the dining table. No homework to do in those days and spare time was spent out in the fields exploring. Holidays every year, and I could even take a friend. Dad was only the second person to have a car in the neighbourhood (the first being the district nurse) and I could have virtually anything I wanted, I just had to ask. But make no mistake, Mum and Dad worked very hard and it rubbed off on me. My priorities have never been material things, and I never took advantage of my situation. At fifteen I took a paper round and earned my own spending money and was able to save for my first motorcycle, although Dad wouldn't let me buy a bigger bike when I passed my test, instead he bought me my first car.
Since then, I've worked every day of my life until retiring at sixty. Every day is a good old day!
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Was that the stuff that came in a box of single sheets? yes it did make great tracing paper, but it could also form very sharp corners and cut the ass off you, no health warnings on the box either.
The Izal we used came on rolls - it was supposed to be good stuff because it was `medicated` Just like wiping your backside with greaseproof paper
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:20 PM

That reminds me. we used to go out nicking apples.
Me and my mate were up an apple tree when the owner came out.
My mate bottled it and jumped down trying to escape and got caught.
I stayed up the tree until the fuss died down.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Sorry guys, they really were the good old days for me. I was an only child and lived with Mum and Dad in quite a large house. Plenty of food on the table and I could never understand why my mates would want to steal apples from the local orchard when there was always a bowl of fruit on the dining table. No homework to do in those days and spare time was spent out in the fields exploring. Holidays every year, and I could even take a friend. Dad was only the second person to have a car in the neighbourhood (the first being the district nurse) and I could have virtually anything I wanted, I just had to ask. But make no mistake, Mum and Dad worked very hard and it rubbed off on me. My priorities have never been material things, and I never took advantage of my situation. At fifteen I took a paper round and earned my own spending money and was able to save for my first motorcycle, although Dad wouldn't let me buy a bigger bike when I passed my test, instead he bought me my first car.
Since then, I've worked every day of my life until retiring at sixty. Every day is a good old day!
Good luck to you Bob, I'm glad you had plenty to eat and places to go on holiday, we never begrudged anyones good fortune, especially from hard work and good planning.
One chap on our Street had the only car on the Street and he would take as many kids as he could fit into it on a Saturday morning then take us all off for a spin in the country and an ice cream cornet on the way home, just a kind decent man and everyone loved him, I suppose doing that today would raise all sorts of suspicions and wouldn't be allowed, sad how we can't trust folks anymore.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:32 PM

Izal Bog Roll is responsible for all these alien sightings, if it weren't for greaseproof Bog Roll, we would not have this infestation of "Klingons".
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

01-02-2016, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
The Izal we used came on rolls - it was supposed to be good stuff because it was `medicated` Just like wiping your backside with greaseproof paper
Ah once it said 'Medicated' on it you could practically eat the stuff.
The Romans had the right idea, they used a recyclable sponge and everyone was happy, except the poor buggers who had to wash the sponges.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:39 PM

When my family first came to live in England in 1953, our family of six lived in two rooms in a house that had a demolition order on it! I remember my mother bathing us in the sink and she would add Jeyes Fluid to the water! When we protested it was stinging us, she would say, 'Shut up, it's killing the germs'!
When my mother had a miscarriage and had to go into hospital, the family that lived in the other part of the house looked after us four children. They had a tin bath and the mother bathed her three boys first in the water, then us four after in the same water! One of her children had done a poo in the bath water and I remember my horror as it floated around me!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by Docholliday ->
Isn't it great to have lovely soft toilet paper instead of newspaper or that awful IZAL slippery toilet paper?

Ooh yes, I hated that stuff. It was more like pieces of greaseproof paper, not at all absorbent.

I too, remember my nan and grandad's loo having newspaper too. When you think of it, it's a wonder it didn't block the pipes.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2016, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
When my family first came to live in England in 1953, our family of six lived in two rooms in a house that had a demolition order on it! I remember my mother bathing us in the sink and she would add Jeyes Fluid to the water! When we protested it was stinging us, she would say, 'Shut up, it's killing the germs'!
When my mother had a miscarriage and had to go into hospital, the family that lived in the other part of the house looked after us four children. They had a tin bath and the mother bathed her three boys first in the water, then us four after in the same water! One of her children had done a poo in the bath water and I remember my horror as it floated around me!

Ah, happy days ey Arti.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top