Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-09-2015, 01:29 PM

Re: Chickens.

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Can't be doin' with 'picky' eaters
I eat everything and never turn my nose up at anything edible. I eat and enjoy all of Mother Nature's bounty !
Probably a good strategy in general but due to mankind's greed and stupidity we do have to be careful now about the state of even those things which appear to be Nature's bounty.

Fish for example. It has long since been a hazardous area. There used to be (and prob still are) fish farms teeming with fish all swimming about in their own excrement. Some years ago, renowned newscaster John Humphries did a report on them. He donned a wet suit and scuba gear and with a colleague went swimming beneath the fish farm. Apparently he could not see more than about 1 foot ahead of him due to the state of the water.

So farmed fish are out for me.

Then we look at "fresh water" fish but find that the prevalence of farmed fish in rivers has contaminated rivers and affected the wild fish.

Then we have the varying levels of Mercury toxicity in fish with Mackeral and Tuna etc being towards the top of the most toxic ladder.

If all this weren't enough, we then have the Fukushima nuclear reactor disaster which happened March 2011 (doesn't it seem only yesterday still?!). Sadly since that disaster the plant has been steadily releasing radioactive waste into the Bay and into the Pacific Ocean. This is actually a global disaster, it's just that people don't realise it yet. The sea life throughout this part of the Pacific will all have been affected and that will have a domino effect throughout the food chain. There are going to be many fishing companies/industries badly affected by this as the fish they would have otherwise caught and sold will be irradiated and unfit for consumption.

We know however that man is greedy and stupid so we can expect that a lot of irradiated fish will hit store shelves. It seems inconceivable but I don't take anything for granted.

I was in Sainsbury's this week and saw a pack of Sea Bass fillets on offer. I searched and searched the pack for details but nowhere would it even say whether it was farmed sea bass or wild sea bass. Not so long ago, every fish sold would clearly state such providence on the packet.

So watch out for unmarked fish imo. The cynic in me says that "nasty" fish from the Pacific is going to find its way into the food chain because the fishermen will still catch them, supermarkets will buy them, paying bottom dollar for them of course, and will then sell them on to us at the same usual high price. I guess a lot of it will end up in the frozen fish market and go into fish fingers, fishcakes, fish pies and the like.

Soon the only fish worth eating will be that which you know has been locally caught in an area that is known to not be polluted.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-09-2015, 03:26 PM

Re: Chickens.

As I started to read this thread, I suddenly remembered that I had chicken cooking in the oven and on the hob, and was time to turn off the oven and hob
The boiled chicken on the gas that is legs, is for my dog.
In the oven is back quarters in one of those 'cook in bag with
Sauce' for me.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top