Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 07:38 AM

Re: Has the Big Weekly Shops had it's Day

I do a big fortnightly shop and maybe a smaller top-up inbetween (especially at the butchers or fishmongers). I live 14 miles from the nearest town with large supermarkets, and 9 miles from 'local' shops. Although I can use the Bus (free) for these smaller shops, once a week is enough.

I find that if I shop more frequently, I tend to look for bargains, reduced items etc.. "to try" and this often gives rise to waste. OK, didn't cost much, but waste nonetheless.

No, here in rural areas, the 'Big shop' is alive and well - whether it's on-line and delivered or done in person.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:41 AM

I visit Sainsbury's once a month to stock up on cleaning products, kitchen/lavatory rolls, a few tinned goods.

Dry goods - beans/lentils/barley etc., I buy from a wholefood store about once a month.

Cat food/litter is cheaper to buy in bulk 'on line'.

For fresh meat/fish/cheese I go into town on the 'bus once a week.

For fruit and vegetables I walk up to the farm shop a couple of times a week.

Milk and free range eggs are delivered by the milkman.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:47 AM

Couple of years ago we downsized from our 6 weekly shopto a monthly shop then when we started using tesco delivery we began having a weekly shop. I can't see us doing more often than that as we plan weekly meals and veggies etc last a week.

Still buy some things 6 weekly or monthly - cleaning stuff and frozen stuff and if we see anything we can buy cheaper in bulk.

Buying daily would be a nightmare to us I am sure it would cost more and take a lot more time.
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 09:57 AM

As a local daily shopper I do not fall for the huge empty trolley must fill syndrome nor the in your face BOGOF's that seem so hard to resist.

It is surprising how much money you save buying from your favourite butcher, baker ect as there will be no waste.

You have to be a strong willed shopper these days to avoid marketing ploys.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 10:20 AM

On line shopping you don't even see a trolley so you don't feel the need to fill it, and you only see bogoffs etc unless you are buying the product anyway. Saves us a lot of money really. Don't get bogged down with kids pester power either
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 11:48 AM

I buy the odd item coming home from work at Sainsbury's. But my hubby normally calls on a Thursday from work to Lidl to buy the main bulk items, we've nearly always got a full freezer, so it's just whatever we run out of mostly ie.. fresh fruit and veg etc....
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 01:19 PM

My big weekly shop fills two carrier bags so not sure if it qualifies!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
My big weekly shop fills two carrier bags so not sure if it qualifies!
Course it does, our's is only a box full
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2015, 04:21 PM

Trouble is one bag's full of pet food!
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire

19-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Tessa what do you eat!? you'll be wasting away...

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top