Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 08:31 PM

Re: Newspaper text - is it my eyes?

Sorry, forgot to update.

Well, instead of paying a penalty of £25 for an earlier eye test (than when due). They've nicked £125 off me!! Change in prescription and the tester recommends I try varifocals again. I chose the cheapest. Heavens, It's only been 10 months since I bought the last pair.

The cataracts have got worse but they seem to have trouble getting ideal photos of my eyes. Tried two different times, and glaucoma test twice, as reading high in R eye. Now, when I collect my glasses they want to repeat the photos again!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 08:43 PM

My husband has quite complicated lenses in his glasses and gets them from glasses direct on the internet, swears by them, usually cost a fraction of what they do in the opticians.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 06:36 PM

If they say you have Glaucoma your eye tests are free no matter what age you are.
If they feel you have Glaucoma they have to send a note to your Doctor who will then make a appointment with the local eye clinic. I presume you are in England? I had this done to me over the Summer. When classed as having Glaucoma your children and close relatives can also get a free eye test.
I had my eyes tested at Tesco, yours trying to get you to buy new glasses all the time sound real money grabbers. Name them and shame them. Hope everything goes OK for you.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 06:41 PM

Yes I like to listen to Agatha Raisin to very funny , i always have an audio book to take to bed now much easier on the eyes than books .... you close your eyes and gently float off ....
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 03:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
I find reading newspaper text quite hard these days as a lot of it seems too grey and therefore too light a shade for my comfortable reading.

I read the Daily Mail and the shades of columns are either bold black or grey. I booked myself in for an early eye test today (not due till January and I will have to pay £25 if they find no change in prescription), because I am struggling.

I also think the text size is too small.

Any other paper readers finding it a problem?
I can't speak from recent experience of your newspapers but sometimes they do change the font style and size especially since they have gone to tabloid format. Obviously the smaller the font the more they can cram into a page and thus (perhaps) use less paper.

However there might be other factors; perhaps they are not bleaching the paper as much as they used to for environmental reasons or perhaps you have cataracts forming which lesson your ability to distinguish between print with a low contrast background (that's a problem I have come across recently though not with newsprint).
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 06:59 PM

BowieEyes, I KNOW my prescription has changed! Because I am struggling with my current pairs. The test showed that, and I know by reading and using the long distance pair.
oldbugger
Fondly Remembered
Moray Coast, Scotland.
oldbugger is male  oldbugger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 09:27 PM

I read 3 newspapers every morning (Press & Journal, Independent & Financial Times) and I have to say I haven't noticed any problems with my sight in terms of seeing the text.

My wife has good eye sight too but has had to use reading glasses as of a year ago as she was starting to struggle with small text.

It's strange, my health is absolutely appalling - my liver, lungs and heart are all on their last legs and yet my hearing and sight are still sharp as a knife. Go figure, as the Americans say.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top