Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 11:19 AM

Re: Bonfires and Garden Incinerators

They still smoke and smell - and we have been asked NOT TO USE THEM!
Mine is hibernating in the garage for now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

A Garden Incinerator is very different to a Bonfire.

You mean you have a smoke-free incinerator? Wow!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
You mean you have a smoke-free incinerator? Wow!
Nope, what I am saying is that it is perfectly legal and does not pose a problem to others.

I am also saying that you have completely misunderstood the link you posted.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 11:51 AM

About once every 2 years I use a garden incinerator to burn bank statements and other private but useless papers. There are too many to shred. I incinerate them during the winter months when it's raining. It's over 2 years since this was last done.

If the lockdown goes on into the winter, as I reckon it could, the papers will just have to build up. Maybe they could be torn up, mulched and turned into paper mache ornamental bowls ..or something.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 12:04 PM

Stinky barbeques are a problem round here...
I've never resorted to burning rubbish since we moved here forty odd years ago, but if somebody lights a stinky barbeque I might reconsider.....The food off a barbeque is undercooked and tastes of burnt stuff anyway.....Horrid!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
Stinky barbeques are a problem round here...
I've never resorted to burning rubbish since we moved here forty odd years ago, but if somebody lights a stinky barbeque I might reconsider.....The food off a barbeque is undercooked and tastes of burnt stuff anyway.....Horrid!
ii

Hi

Barbeques are a fact of life.

If they are not done properly the fat released is far more of a Public Health issue than dry wood.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by biffo ->
There's no fire without smoke...
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 12:39 PM

Personally I hate garden fires, we have pretty large gardens around here but we've never found the need to burn anything, what we can't compost we bag up and take to the recycling depot. Some of our neighbours, however, think it's ok to burn stuff but the smoke never seems to go in the direction of their own houses, (odd that), and I think the whole burning thing to be absolutely inconsiderate towards others and should be stopped completely.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Personally I hate garden fires, we have pretty large gardens around here but we've never found the need to burn anything, what we can't compost we bag up and take to the recycling depot. Some of our neighbours, however, think it's ok to burn stuff but the smoke never seems to go in the direction of their own houses, (odd that), and I think the whole burning thing to be absolutely inconsiderate towards others and should be stopped completely.
Absolutely, Barry! I find woodburning fires give off pungent stinks. Whatever happened to smoke free zones?
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2020, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
- Snip -
Personally, I feel burning rubbish in gardens in a populated area is an act of pure selfishness and lack of courtesy for anyone else.

I have a neighbour that repeatedly burns foul stinking stuff and he has had his last chance now. Next time I will report him.
Get your hosepipe out, Mups, and give his bonfire a good soaking.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top