Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:31 PM

Re: How do we know they are genuine.

[QUOTE=Myth and Magic;617061 remember at one time, a man tried to open the back door to let himself in without invitation. Had a German Shepherd at the time so felt protected. [/QUOTE]

I did have someone enter my house once uninvited ,he thought he was in the right house , i had a hell of a job to convince him he was in the wrong house and he should leave.i was 8 months pregnant at the time .
My OH got me a dog after that episode and ive not been without one since
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
If you didnt answer the door to the Meter reader he would have left a card for you to fill in ..Or they put on the card when they will call again By which time you can have a relative to be with you.
Well thought out Eliza.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 05:11 PM

I have been known to make a meter reading wait outside while I rang their company to make sure who they are, if they are genuine they won't be cross about that. I found it odd he was wanting to read the gas meter as we were all electric so I was very suspicious.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 05:11 PM

Our meters are outside the house so we don't have anyone who needs to come inside. I just wondered how big a job it would be to have the meters moved outside.

We actually read our own and send them in monthly, a bit of a pain but we know our readings are accurate. The gas/electric company still need to read them themselves occasionally to check our readings are correct.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 05:29 PM

I have dogs and I dont think they would bite anyone, but if someone strange comes to the door and asks do they bite? I always say that as long as the person is friendly and keeps their distance the dogs are safe...

(they are 14 yr old and a 10 yr old btw)
Freshfields
Ayrshire, Scotland
Freshfields is female  Freshfields has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:10 PM

I send in my meter readings by email and last week just the day after I had, the meter reader came to check. I don't think they are employed directly by the energy company which can make it worse. I usually ask them who they are from. At one time I was getting 3 different meter readers in so I asked who they were representing and if it wasn't my supplier, I didn't let them in and they just recorded that I had refused admission.
Suzuki Sue
Chatterbox
West Yorkshire
Suzuki Sue is female  Suzuki Sue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by maursey ->
I have just rung the elec/gas company and told them that in future I will be reading my meter and sending it to them by email which they have accepted.
That's great.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 08:57 PM

You can't be too careful these days Maursey. I do most things online. It suits me to do that. I don't answer my door if I don't know who's there. It's my home and I don't have to answer to anyone. Only two people know my home telephone number, so I don't get any cold calls. I use my mobile for everything. It suits me fine. If my immediate elderly neighbours want me, then they shout through the window. I'm always there for them, but no one else.

Saying all that, I learned the hard way about who's lurking outside your door. When I moved here, I had come from a very quiet cul de sac. It was so safe. Here, it's also very quiet, I'm second from the end and only visitors, the postman or delivery men come as far along as this. Anyway, a couple of weeks after I moved in, I left my car keys in the kitchen, in full view, obviously. I came home from work and my brand new car had vanished from the carpark - obviously along with keys. Never to be seen again. Seen on cctv at 2 am, a guy with a hoodie on. At some point they must have sneaked in, when the door was unlocked (I know - another lesson learned), took the keys and stole my brand new car. That was done by one in a few people. Yes, I was too trusting, but I'm so wary of anyone these days. My car keys go everywhere with me.

I'd be wary of anyone any where near your door nowadays, who you don't expect.
maursey
hertfordshire
maursey is female  maursey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 10:53 PM

Soon after my husband died my son in law set up a ctv camera in my bedroom which is downstairs so when I want I can look and see who it is knocking, but I must admit I only do that at night time. I really must do that day and night in future.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-02-2015, 11:54 PM

I sympathise with you Maursey. if I'm alone in the house and hear a knock at the door I simply don't answer it unless I'm expecting someone.
The meters aren't a problem though as they are on the outside wall. I thought everybody's was.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top