Join for free
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 09:32 AM

Re: Liver and Onions

Hi

My mothers liver and onion would put you off for life.

It was best used for armour plating tanks.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

My mothers liver and onion would put you off for life.

It was best used for armour plating tanks.
Sounds like she over cooked it Swim! In our parents time the rule was to make sure everything is " well cooked" . Thank god we all learned the error of their ways.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by APRICOT ->
I don"t remember it being rationed.
I do love lambs liver , the only thing is it just takes so much fiddling around, what with coating it with flour then frying it,then keeping it warm while you fry the next lot.
Then grilling the bacon.
Just don"t really bother TBH.

Just don"t really bother TBH.

What a load of rubbish, just lay the floured liver in an oven dish with the (smoked) bacon wrapped around it or laid across the top. Chop the onion into slices and lay them on the liver too, make some 'thick' gravy and pour over the liver, bacon & onions and place in a warm (180 oC) for approx 45 - 60 mins - fabulous!!!
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 11:28 AM

I remember doing liver and onions once I had learned to cook. Liver sliced thinly,added to onions already translucent,a bit of sage,some flour,a bit of marsala and water.

Umm-this is better than the gristle,leather and gloop my mother cooked. Bless she had no idea how to cook but then my father did a great impression of a pig.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 12:32 PM

I love liver and onions. My favorite is beef liver (tried calves liver, didn't like it, didn't have that strong liver flavor) and I also love chicken livers.

A place I used to work at had a great little cafe up the street from it and I would frequently go there just to order their deep fried chicken livers. That was heaven on a plate.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 01:00 PM

Hi

In my case it is the childhood memories which put me off.

My mother's cooking was legendary.

Her Victoria sponges were in great demand, as ballast for ships.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

In my case it is the childhood memories which put me off.

My mother's cooking was legendary.

Her Victoria sponges were in great demand, as ballast for ships.

Your mother`s cooking,?belch,fart. I pronounce this crap wonderful,belch,fart lights a fag-I grew up in a very posh place you know.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 02:11 PM

I love liver & onions.
I also add smokey bacon.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
Must look into adding bacon to my liver and onions, and its Lambs liver i like.

Had another blast from the past yesterday, Leek Pudding.

I'm going to try adding bacon too Nom.

I've never heard of Leek Pudding! Is it some kind of suet pudding?
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
What a load of rubbish, just lay the floured liver in an oven dish with the (smoked) bacon wrapped around it or laid across the top. Chop the onion into slices and lay them on the liver too, make some 'thick' gravy and pour over the liver, bacon & onions and place in a warm (180 oC) for approx 45 - 60 mins - fabulous!!!
Sounds like a nice easy way to cook liver and onions UJ. Must try that.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top