Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 05:00 PM

Re: Staffies

So you don't believe the word of the kennel club that they're good around children?

Sorry .... wagging their tails can have the opposite meaning of most dogs ... they're not aliens!

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
My veterinarian told me once as we got chatting that there's something in the brain of this breed that can make them turn on a dime. Also wagging their tails can have the opposite meaning of most dogs. Whether it's all true or not, these dogs were not originally bred to be nice, gay, happy, dopey animals. They were bred for a certain reason.

I know up the whazoo that every dog has its own personality, even so called dopey dogs may attack. BUT, even if I owned one, I'd never let it around children.

Of course I never would own one of these dogs & I'm not sure if it's still in effect but they were banned here.

Give me a Doberman, Akita, Jack Russell or another Old English Sheepdog any day.

And you're right if you think I shouldn't a couple of these around children either. I wouldn't just to be on the safe side.

Most owners who own a lot of these dogs need them to feel macho themselves, women included & I'm not saying you are, just most.

As for a Doberman or Akita, of course there's that element as well. Certain breeds were bred for protection but there's a lot of moronic owners out there.

I don't own a Dobe or Akita btw but I do have a JR & did own an OES.

In my opinion, Staffordshire Terriers are too much dog for many owners & again, I say "Keep the damn things away from children!"
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 05:01 PM

quote..."Three examples of breeds that can be particularly suited to families with children, because of their loyal and affectionate nature, are the Labrador, Boxer and Staffordshire Bull Terrier, however there are many more that are particularly good with children - "....unquote.

I am pleased to see my favorite breed the Boxer also, all my children and grandchildren were raised with them.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 05:05 PM

I don't think it's unfair that you don't find my dog remotely pleasing at all - doesn't bother me at all. Your experience of a staffie attacking your pregnant dog is shocking and no wonder you don't have any time for them. My dog is absolutely never off lead and as I say in a previous post I would about turn if I saw you with your dog - for both yours and my dog's sake.

to get back to my original posting though - the Kennel Club put them on a par with Labradors and boxers as being good with children. For me as a staffie owner that makes my heart sing. I've watched my boy on the side of football pitches watching young boys play football and he just smiles and wags his tail it is such a joy to watch.

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Same here Plantman. I know the Staffie enthusiasts think its unfair, but I have seen many, many more bad ones than good, including my own little dog being brutally attacked by one when she was walking with me on lead, and to make matters worse, she was also pregnant. The damn thing just flew at her for no reason whatsoever and wouldn't let her go.
It's not just the total lack of trust I have, I do not find the this breed remotely pleasing to look at either. They're just not my sort of dog at all.
Baxter8
Somerset

13-04-2014, 05:06 PM

Very big high five for Boxers, I love them too. My nephew has the softest silliest boxer you could ever meet.

Originally Posted by Pats ->
quote..."Three examples of breeds that can be particularly suited to families with children, because of their loyal and affectionate nature, are the Labrador, Boxer and Staffordshire Bull Terrier, however there are many more that are particularly good with children - "....unquote.

I am pleased to see my favorite breed the Boxer also, all my children and grandchildren were raised with them.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 05:44 PM

Baxter I know how you feel we had several rescue terriers who were not dog friendly, that's one of the reasons we have opted for breeds now that are friendly. The lonely walks having to turn back when we saw someone heading toward us with a friendly dog was starting to get to us I think.

The freedom of having a friendly dog to walk is quite intoxicating we go where we want and mine walk passed dogs that don't want to say hello and are happy to say hello to those who do want to. Liberating is the word I think.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Very big high five for Boxers, I love them too. My nephew has the softest silliest boxer you could ever meet.
I thought we had the softest, silliest...here is one of mine...my beautiful Amy.

Baxter8
Somerset

13-04-2014, 06:51 PM

Absolute bliss - a friendly sociable dog. I have to admit I am envious.

I took the dog from the rescue kennels that no one else would take and love him to bits but we cut a lonely pair up in the woods obsessively looking back and around corners.

We take them baggage and all though.

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Baxter I know how you feel we had several rescue terriers who were not dog friendly, that's one of the reasons we have opted for breeds now that are friendly. The lonely walks having to turn back when we saw someone heading toward us with a friendly dog was starting to get to us I think.

The freedom of having a friendly dog to walk is quite intoxicating we go where we want and mine walk passed dogs that don't want to say hello and are happy to say hello to those who do want to. Liberating is the word I think.
Baxter8
Somerset

13-04-2014, 06:51 PM

That is a beautiful Boxer expression - how absolutely gorgeous, I'm smitten I have to say.

Originally Posted by Pats ->
I thought we had the softest, silliest...here is one of mine...my beautiful Amy.

Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-04-2014, 06:53 PM

Absolute bliss - a friendly sociable dog. I have to admit I am envious.

I took the dog from the rescue kennels that no one else would take and love him to bits but we cut a lonely pair up in the woods obsessively looking back and around corners.

We take them baggage and all though.
So true I wouldn't have not had any of them but when I look back how life could have been for them if only they could have ignored other dogs it's quite sad really.
Pats
Lincolnshire

13-04-2014, 07:14 PM

That is a beautiful Boxer expression - how absolutely gorgeous, I'm smitten I have to say.
Thank you Baxter...I adored her.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top