Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 11:06 AM

Re: Food Bank Use Soars in Britain

Maybe if all the undesirables were sent back from whence they came it wouldn't be too bad.But its open season here , all are welcome.Most of the MPs are upper class or middle class and they have no idea how the normal British people live. I have been a conservative most of my life and can now see how the Labour Party works or worked.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Good points Annie ....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:48 PM

Exactly B-V.. In my opinion, it's 'socially criminal' to have large families even if you have the means to support them. It's doubly bad if you expect someone else to support them. Time to limit child benefits to the first two children.

I would also agree that some wages are pathetically low. When I "retired" from IT, I looked for something different to do. I was amazed at the low pay of some jobs. I knew some people who took these jobs, not because they really needed the money, but because they could afford to take them. Surprizingly, some jobs paid reasonably well and I worked for a couple of years as a school janitor.

As to the use of foodbanks, it appears that the criteria for using them is set by the referring agency and this can vary from place to place. Perhaps there are too many 'hard luck' stories!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Grumblewagon ->
Time to limit child benefits to the first two children.
I absolutely agree with that.

I would also agree that some wages are pathetically low.
I am sure this is what the government means when it says Britain 'needs' 140,000 immigrants per year - it's because they know immigrants will work for much less and it will drive wages/salaries down. The problem is that whilst consumers wait for the falling demand to drive prices down, it's very painful for a lot of people - and it won't affect utilities anyway.

As to the use of foodbanks, it appears that the criteria for using them is set by the referring agency and this can vary from place to place. Perhaps there are too many 'hard luck' stories!
I just think it's awful Grumble that in this day and age, foodbanks are necessary. When I was raising my children alone (I was working part-time), I wouldn't accept free school meals for them but made them packed lunches instead! I would hate to have to use a foodbank - it's like having the last of your dignity stripped from you.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 03:47 PM

Did anyone see the programme the other week wherein three t.v. chefs lived with three different households who claimed their income left them unable to afford to eat? A widower pensioner ( having to cope alone for the first time), a young single mum with a part time job, and a couple who both worked, with two children.

It became increasingly obvious that the problem was more a case of ignorance rather than lack of finances. None of the households had, for instance, a basic store cupboard (rice, pastas, pulses etc) none knew how to shop 'cheaply' (ie use markets, look for reduced items, bulk cook and save some for another day), and none knew how to prepare and cook cheap filling meals, stews, casseroles, pies etc. all seemed to exist on chilled or frozen ready meals.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Did anyone see the programme the other week wherein three t.v. chefs lived with three different households who claimed their income left them unable to afford to eat? A widower pensioner ( having to cope alone for the first time), a young single mum with a part time job, and a couple who both worked, with two children.

It became increasingly obvious that the problem was more a case of ignorance rather than lack of finances. None of the households had, for instance, a basic store cupboard (rice, pastas, pulses etc) none knew how to shop 'cheaply' (ie use markets, look for reduced items, bulk cook and save some for another day), and none knew how to prepare and cook cheap filling meals, stews, casseroles, pies etc. all seemed to exist on chilled or frozen ready meals.
There is 'some' truth in that, especially those that are unable to cook, most kids these days are not taught this skill. However, this is a TV programme, which altho I didn't see, would suggest they picked 3 different scenarios to make up the programme as an aid to others.
I wouldn't presume the people that go to food banks are in the same league .....
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 04:37 PM

I had a quick look at what was in a typical foodbox (as published by Trussell trust foodbank)

They state "Each foodbox contains a minimum of three days nutritionally balanced, non-perishable food."

Milk (UHT or powdered)
Sugar (500g)
Fruit juice (carton)
Soup
Pasta sauces
Sponge pudding
(tinned)
Tomatoes (tinned)
Cereals
Rice pudding (tinned)
Tea Bags/instant coffee
Instant mash potato
Rice/pasta
Tinned meat/fish
Tinned fruit
Jam
Biscuits or snack bar

The need for the food to be non-perishable lets out fresh vegetables and meat. It might seem a better idea to issue some of the foodbox items as a voucher for fresh food that could be used in a supermarket.

A very good point was made about cooking skills versus finances. Too much emphesis seems to be placed on pouring a jar of sauce into a pan. Maybe a few free cookery (and budgeting) lessons would be more effective than opening more foodbanks.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2013, 04:47 PM

Vouchers is a good idea
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 08:35 PM

These food banks are charities and depend on donations from the public, at least the ones that I know of. And people have to be referred to get one.
To issue vouchers they would have to have the financial means to support them and they don't. The food banks have a preferred list of foods they would like donated but are grateful for whatever comes through their doors.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top