Join for free
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
solo
UK
solo is female  solo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Re: The shackling of free speech

There has never been a so called Free speech. You only have to look at history and see what happened to anyone who thought they could speak freely

Good King Hal showed what he thought of that idea.
Rainmaker
North Midlands UK
Rainmaker is male  Rainmaker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 02:14 PM

Freedom of speech is fine if its you who is practicing it. Its not so if you are having to listen or read sometimes. What some people claim as their right to free speech, is often used as a cover for intolerance and abusive, sometimes rude comments. However, its fine if it is regulated by a bit of respect and sensitivity.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am very much in favour of free speech but appreciate sometimes it has to be monitored for the protection of others .

I just hope no one who is in favour of unlimited free speech has ever reported anyone on here for saying something they don't like.
That would be hypocritical ...
Aaaahhhhh yes Meg, I agree.
BUT.
Perhaps the person who said something they don't like was over the line and possibly personally offensive.
I do not consider that particular scenario as being hypocritical.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rainmaker ->
Freedom of speech is fine if its you who is practicing it. Its not so if you are having to listen or read sometimes. What some people claim as their right to free speech, is often used as a cover for intolerance and abusive, sometimes rude comments. However, its fine if it is regulated by a bit of respect and sensitivity.
That's true Rainmaker ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
BUT.
Perhaps the person who said something they don't like was over the line and possibly personally offensive.
Boozer like it or not, offensive or not they were still exercising 'their right to free speech'.
You can't have it both ways, either there is free speech or it is 'shackled' (censored) in some way.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 02:29 PM

Hi

Free speech is fine except where it is used to incite acts of violence.

There needs to be a balance, and judgements need to be made.

Closing down sites where they promote terrorist attacks and tell you how to make a bomb I do not consider to be interfering with Free Speech.

I consider it to be common sense.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

10-02-2016, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Free speech is fine except where it is used to incite acts of violence.

There needs to be a balance, and judgements need to be made.

Closing down sites where they promote terrorist attacks and tell you how to make a bomb I do not consider to be interfering with Free Speech.

I consider it to be common sense.
I agree Gibbs that is what I meant when I said 'It has to be monitored for the protection of others '.

Likewise the 'need to know' basis for operational personnel, 'free speech' could cost lives in that instance .
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Boozercruiser ->
BUT.
Nor do i BC and yes i have reported people who have made what i consider offensive and inflammatory comments .
I dont think I am a hypocrite .Hypocrisy is not applying the same standards to all.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 03:13 PM

In my earlier post I said that I was in favour of free speech but on a forum, such as this, it should be 'moderated' I was implying that the poster should moderate his tone, language and be aware of other members 'sensibilities' not that the post should be subject to action by a Moderator....hope that clears up any possible misunderstanding.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-02-2016, 03:20 PM

Absolutely .
If you met someone in a social situation say in a pub would one like to be subjected to verbal abuse swearing or personal attacks .Thats is nothing to do with free speech.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top