Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:04 PM

Re: Why do people believe in gods?

I know this will be hard to believe but I won the school prize for divinity. It was my essay as a 12 year old trying to reason that a`god` was someone people needed to believe in.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by Tpin ->
Religion was the foundation for early policing, living by a set of rules.
I for one am thankful for that, it spurred us on to conformity.
We do not need a religion to provide us with a set of rules and anyway the 'rules' and man's interpretation of them vary from one religion to another .

As humans we have the ability to make ethical decisions based on empathy, reason, a concern for our fellow man and other sentient animals. Not everyone needs 'a book of rules' to do this it comes naturally
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Why do people believe in gods?

Indoctrination from an early age.
... reluctance to questioning those who appear to be more knowledgeable than oneself,
...tradition,
...fear of the unknown,
...a desire to retain comforting thoughts.

I think there's alot of truth in that last bit Meg. Having faith and/or belief probably gives comfort and healing to alot of people. No harm in that, unless it becomes an obsession, then it could have the reverse effect.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I think there's alot of truth in that last bit Meg. Having faith and/or belief probably gives comfort and healing to alot of people. No harm in that, unless it becomes an obsession, then it could have the reverse effect.
So right
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Absolutely no harm in that at all Mups and if makes people happy and helps then to behave better toward their fellow man all the better.

However, religion has two faces , the benign and the malevolent and we feel the influence of the latter all to often in our lives.
Religion was used as stick to beat me when I was a child, it brought no comfort to my life.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:15 PM

Absolutely no harm in that at all Mups and if makes people happy and helps then to behave better toward their fellow man all the better.

However, religion has two faces , the benign and the malevolent and we feel the influence of the latter all to often in our lives.
Religion was used as stick to beat me when I was a child, it brought no comfort to my life.

Also true and happens far too often
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:21 PM

Religion is odd-I was forced to go to Sunday school by a moron who thought god spoke through him(a novel view on farting) A methodist Uncle and chapel warden who was a peeping tom. The only one I ever respected was my Uncle John-baptist minister who refused to take up arms,he worked on the land and was called by the moron a `conshie`
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:26 PM

I had written a long post in answer but decided it's best to keep your beliefs to yourself! Discussing religion only ends up in big arguments!
I will just say, I have faith rather than a religion.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Precisely, that is why I meant about it becoming an obsession.
I certainly do not think anyone has the right to try and enforce their beliefs on some one else.
I also think there is a difference between teaching and subject and enforcing it with threats etc..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by moreover ->
Most educated people don't. They use it as an excuse to justify what they want to do.
Hi

A statement of your own belief, nothing more, nothing less.

An equally valid statement, using your viewpoint, would be

Most educated people don't vote Labour.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top