Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 09:18 PM

Re: Runners over 50

I've done a lot of running in my life and managed to reach quite a high standard - 31 mins for 10km. Won lots of races but I've been struggling with the whole concept of running for a few years now. At my age - 58 - I find it is too severe on the body and diet. What I mean by this when you get older most like, or prefer, stability but running hard doesn't give you that at all: your hunger pangs are more severe the more you run and your thirst can be prodigious at times - I get drunk from alcohol fumes after a long run; not only this but your state of mind constantly fluctuates from thinking you are still 20 to considering you are now nearly whatever - old! I feel worn out by it and I realise it is time to think of running in a totally different way or ways. I really think I just need to jog a little to keep relatively fit (if it does me good) and drop the extreme side of it entirely. I might well call a halt to it completely.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 09:41 PM

[QUOTE=RunYoung50;719288]Hi OldGreyFox
Nice to meet you too. What do you think has contributed to you being able to keep running?

They changed the Robin Hood course again this year and it's much nicer than it used to be if you fancy having another go. My longest distance to date is half marathon.

In answer to your first question Katie; A deep love of the freedom that running gives and the closeness to nature that I feel when padding along quiet country roads or striding over heather clad moors. The beauty of the spectacle nature provides with the changing seasons. The scurrying of wildlife trying to avoid an approaching runner; on occasions Hares, Rabbits and Squirrels have playfully tried to outrun said runner - with success on most occasions. The calmness that overcomes me when stepping back into the house and closing the door after a hard run in the driving rain or howling wind. The sense of satisfaction achieved after almost forty years of running and still feeling the same euphoria that I experienced after my first run. The list is endless Katie, and this is just a small example of the benefits running has given me over the years.

And secondly: My last marathon was 1996 as I pointed out earlier, and now two Heart attacks later I have had to tailor my running to suit my age and medical status, therefore marathons are out, or should I say 'training for marathons' would be too demanding these days, but Half Marathons may still be on the agenda as my long Sunday run still exceeds ten miles. And finally, after running 36 full marathons I feel happy that I have given the magic twenty six miles my all and they were the best years of my life.

Well done on completion of a Half Marathon Katie, keep enjoyment in your running. An old friend and runner once gave me some advice that I've never forgot: 'Don't leave the best of you out on the road'
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I've done a lot of running in my life and managed to reach quite a high standard - 31 mins for 10km. Won lots of races but I've been struggling with the whole concept of running for a few years now. At my age - 58 - I find it is too severe on the body and diet. What I mean by this when you get older most like, or prefer, stability but running hard doesn't give you that at all: your hunger pangs are more severe the more you run and your thirst can be prodigious at times - I get drunk from alcohol fumes after a long run; not only this but your state of mind constantly fluctuates from thinking you are still 20 to considering you are now nearly whatever - old! I feel worn out by it and I realise it is time to think of running in a totally different way or ways. I really think I just need to jog a little to keep relatively fit (if it does me good) and drop the extreme side of it entirely. I might well call a halt to it completely.
It's a lesson I've had to learn Mark, either run steady and enjoy it and all the benefits that running brings, or eyeballs out every run and have to call it a day.
I chose the former and I believe it puts more back than it takes out....good running Mark.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-10-2015, 10:22 PM

Sorry RunYoung50. I know you were only after replies from the ladies but it's hard for anyone a bit into exercising to stay silent. It seemed that any ladies who wanted to post about running had already done so.

I don't try to make a contest of ways to to exercise but think runners can get trouble with painful lower joints in the end.

The kneecap I broke 30 years ago still gives pain occasionally when I walk but it never gives trouble while cycling. I wonder if this might say that cycling is kinder on the joints than walking/running? Cycling could be considered as an alternative way to exercise if thinking of giving up running.

I wouldn't say my middle is as entirely flat as it was earlier in life, so maybe running is better for a body in that respect. However, I'm 70 and my brother is 78 and we are still riding the off-road hills together after becoming born again cyclists 20 years ago. A bit slower these days but painlessly at least. This doesn't sometimes seem to be the case with runners.

A bike is good for getting about locally too.
RunYoung50
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
RunYoung50 is female 

13-10-2015, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
My good friend might be worth you contacting and I know she wouldn´t mind.
Thank you Clumsy.
RunYoung50
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
RunYoung50 is female 

13-10-2015, 08:56 PM

Hi MKJ
Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I've done a lot of running in my life and managed to reach quite a high standard - 31 mins for 10km. Won lots of races but I've been struggling with the whole concept of running for a few years now. At my age - 58 - I find it is too severe on the body and diet.
It must be difficult to adjust when you have run that fast in the past. My experience is completely different because I've only been running 4 years and am still getting faster, but I know it can't last forever. Have you tried varying your running or doing other sports/activities to keep fit?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2015, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by RunYoung50 ->
Hi MKJ

It must be difficult to adjust when you have run that fast in the past. My experience is completely different because I've only been running 4 years and am still getting faster, but I know it can't last forever. Have you tried varying your running or doing other sports/activities to keep fit?
Best advice I can give any runner is to make sure you have the right diet; which must include all the necessary vitamins and minerals - especially all the minerals required for repairing joints and cartilage. If you don't abide by this you will stir up trouble in the long run. I'm 58 now and I've ran some pretty high mileage in my time (topping 100 miles a week at one time) but I can still train as hard today if I choose as I don't have any physical ailments. I've seen so many runners fizzle out because of injury (mainly knee related problems) but I have made sure to take calcium tablets etc (after a painful episode and intense Google searching). Never train hard if your diet sux AND never train through an injury.
RunYoung50
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
RunYoung50 is female 

17-10-2015, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
In answer to your first question Katie; A deep love of the freedom that running gives and the closeness to nature that I feel when padding along quiet country roads or striding over heather clad moors. The beauty of the spectacle nature provides with the changing seasons.
I love running outdoors too, especially away from suburban roads.
RunYoung50
New Member!
Nottingham, UK
RunYoung50 is female 

17-10-2015, 09:18 PM

Hi Mart,

Originally Posted by mart ->
I wonder if this might say that cycling is kinder on the joints than walking/running? Cycling could be considered as an alternative way to exercise if thinking of giving up running.

... I'm 70 and my brother is 78 and we are still riding the off-road hills together after becoming born again cyclists 20 years ago. A bit slower these days but painlessly at least. This doesn't sometimes seem to be the case with runners.

A bike is good for getting about locally too.
It's great to hear about your cycling. I do think it must be kinder on the joints than running. Runners do seem to get injuries quite often. I've been lucky and not had anything so far that's stopped me running. I love using my bike to get around (although not off-road like you). I cycled to parkrun this morning.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

17-10-2015, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by RunYoung50 ->
Have you tried varying your running or doing other sports/activities to keep fit?
I'll still run but not with the intensity of the past. I run my local running club's website so I keep getting enthused from all the replies. As for any other sport fishing keeps entering my head a lot lately .

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top