Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2011, 12:03 AM

Re: Tinnitus

I would definitely like to see some of your notes please, Hammer, it would be good to understand more about it.
ClaireMarie
Ontario, Canada
ClaireMarie is female  ClaireMarie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2011, 12:12 AM

I have. The only thing I've found that helps me is treatment from my chiropractor (and I know its not for everyone).
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2011, 01:12 AM

Hammer - please do, it will be interesting to see them.

Claire - wonder why that is, did your chiropractor say?
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2011, 03:30 PM

I have it as well in both ears, mainly a hissing noise but at night it sounds as if there is an engine running outside. I always have a radio on all day in the kitchen so I cant hear it as much. Didnt know that about sugar, also its worse if you are stressed. Annie33
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

28-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by anniemuldoon ->
its worse if you are stressed. Annie33
Hi Annie, you are so right but the trick is to know what happens first?, the stress or the tinnitus.

I could understand me getting it every week when we were losing to everyone in the northern hemisphere as that, believe me is STRESS
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2011, 06:39 PM

I believe you... I believe you Hammer. Annie33
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-06-2011, 04:22 PM

Finished our group therapy yesterday and have collected a mountain of notes and stuff to read and digest.

I spoke to our therapist and she is more than happy for me to use any or all her material. if anyone is interested I will try and condense it into some salient points that might be of help to a sufferer.
Topaz
Scotland
Topaz is female 

04-06-2011, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
Finished our group therapy yesterday and have collected a mountain of notes and stuff to read and digest.

I spoke to our therapist and she is more than happy for me to use any or all her material. if anyone is interested I will try and condense it into some salient points that might be of help to a sufferer.

Thanks for that Hammer

Could you not perhaps scan the material and e mail it to peeps , would she allow that ?
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

04-06-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Topaz ->
Thanks for that Hammer

Could you not perhaps scan the material and e mail it to peeps , would she allow that ?
There are almost 30 pages of the material so I am looking at a couple of ways.
Thanks for the suggestion.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2011, 02:15 PM

The most common cause of tinnitus is damage to the sensitive hearing nerves inside the inner ear.
Sounds pass from the outer ear, through the middle ear, and on to the inner ear, which contains the cochlea and the auditory nerve. The cochlea is a coiled, spiral tube that contains many sensitive hair cells. The auditory nerve transmits sounds to the brain.
If the tiny nerves inside your ear are damaged, or destroyed, an abnormal stream of impulses is produced that the brain interprets as a sound. These impulses cause the noise that is associated with tinnitus.
I've had it since I was about 17 years old and I have a constant high-pitched noise in my right ear all the time now, though very occasionally for some odd reason that stops completely for a short while. I also get other forms; anything from a rushing water noise to whistles and rumbles - sometimes all at once - but then I am deaf and my hearing's getting progressively worse.
I've done a fair bit of research on tinnitus and although there is no cure as such and it's unlikely there ever will be, reducing free radicals with natural antioxidants does help me but I've yet to find a concoction the works every time!
I have found however that spicy food, Indian or Bangladeshi in particular, does have far more natural antioxidants and luckily I love spicy foods but I've had positive results from Ginko Biloba too and Valerian.
I've tried tinnitus maskers - waste of time in my case because the white noise was not adjustable and was the wrong frequency. Had it been adjustable I might have got some beneft because several years ago a colleague made me a white noise generator with an earpiece that produced high frequencies - and it worked but I had to remove my aid to pop in the earpiece. Now I need something connected to the aid or I just won't hear it anyway.
By the way, stress and anxiety has a negative effect on tinnitus too. stevmk2

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top