Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2010, 10:38 AM

Re: British slang.

Aerolor!!

How bona to vada your eek, How bold it was for those brave Americans to go deep into the hills. Mind you ducky I live near Fenland and some of them run out of paint before they finish varnishing their toes.

This post is for amusement only,any implication that at some times,that those in isolated communities,or indeed of Royal blood,`kept it in the family` is purely co-incidental
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2010, 11:03 AM

Mind you ducky I live near Fenland and some of them run out of paint before they finish varnishing their toes.

I did hear something like that about Lincolnshire - good job I'm in Derbyshire - ah but then - Derbyshire born, Derbyshire bred, strong in the arm and thick in the head Ever been to Castleton
Old git
West Deeping Lincs
Old git is male  Old git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2010, 11:20 AM

Ah Castleton-I knew a young lady from there and her boobs were indeed the Gem of the peaks,never got into Hope Valley though.

PS-I had to google Castleton but just could not resist playing the fool
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2010, 12:11 PM

I lived in a textile town in Graniteville, South Carolina for 13 years. Southern accents are so strong they actually printed a book "How To Speak Southern". A "hose pipe" is a garden hose, a "drill motor" is an electric drill and "pulley bone" is the wish bone from a chicken or turkey. The folks there stay so close to home everyone in town was related and their last names were all Johnson.
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

12-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Now then bonny lad-here it`s only never far from strange languages,google `Geordie` that`s not difficult,even for a Southener like me.

But I would never try `Black Country` as a visitor-it is English but so very fast and intonated.

And Cornish is well,Cornish-all grockles and cumbetrains so they say

And this is fun but Black Country is not Brummie-Brummie is loike well Brummie but black Country is different

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=32800661265
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2010, 01:48 PM

You git-r-done, OG.

I'm drowning in posers, RUBs and born-agains. You can't even straddle a pan without an dentist in fresh ink calling you 'bro.'

What does he know about blood? He couldn't tune a jet in a knuckle's Linkert without two men and a small boy.

Even if I'm chained up on the porch I can still bark at the cars.

Same page? *fist bump*
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Cor blimey, luva duck - now you got me Tourist - Whas thargoin on aboot - don't ken a thing yer spouting. Eeebygum and eckythump.
The Tourist
Madison, Wisconsin
The Tourist is male  The Tourist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-08-2010, 11:29 PM

Let me translate

You git-r-done, OG. I agree, OG.

I'm drowning in posers, RUBs and born-agains. You can't even straddle a pan without an dentist in fresh ink calling you 'bro.' I'm surrounded by liars, Rich Urban Bikers and guys who haven't ridden in years. I cannot even sit on a custom bike built from a very popular bike dating from 1949 through 1965 without every pretender with a fresh theme tattoo thinking I'm a compatriot.

What does he know about blood? These guys have no concept of our culture.

He couldn't tune a jet in a knuckle's Linkert without two men and a small boy. These guys couldn't even do simple repairs on the simplest of carburetors on rudimentary bikes from 1942 to 1949 without extensive help.

Even if I'm chained up on the porch I can still bark at the cars. I might be getting older, but I still have more sense.

Same page? Don't you agree?

*fist bump* Let's shake on it.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

13-08-2010, 09:52 AM

Thank you Tourist - I didn't realise you were talking about bikes - I had no chance - being a simple minded fluffy female thing. I'll remember "same page" and "fist bump"
Old git
West Deeping Lincs

13-08-2010, 10:37 AM

Not slang as such but foreign languages. Many year back now there was a popular song on the radio,the senior lab technician,where I was doing my PhD was a very attractive and rather flirtatious lady but not one who spoke French.

"Steph you speak French what does voulez vous couchez avec moi mean?"

"well I could show you but I would use the `tu` form "

I know the difference between `vous` and `tu`

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top