Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 07:32 PM

Re: Flag Waving

Not long ago, there were lots of England flags flying from windows and cars.

It didn't last long though, they were soon binned
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 07:32 PM

I'd alwys wanted a Welsh flag (and pole) and my son and DIL bought me one for a birthday some time back. Had to wait for son to make a couple of brackets, but eventually we had the flag flying and very useful it was too, could always tell which way the wind was blowing and handy for telling visitors which house to come to. Unfortunately the original flag virtually disintegrated in the space of about 18 months and I had a new heavy duty one for another birthday! In the gales we had last January I woke one morning to discover the flag pole shaped like an L and the tip of the pole six inches above the car. Now awaiting new flag pole (birthday coming up in November).
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
Not long ago, there were lots of England flags flying from windows and cars.

It didn't last long though, they were soon binned
Do you mean trashed or banned, Jimmy?
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Do you mean trashed or banned, Jimmy?
Binned, thrown in the dustbin. (that's the trashcan to you)
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 07:57 PM

Question... is there a proper protocol for disposing of your flags.. ?? Here they have to be burned. AND it's a Federal law

Understand the law. If you don't properly dispose of the American flag properly, you could be breaking federal law and be liable for fines and, in rare cases, imprisonment.

Follow custom. Burning a tattered American flag is the preferred method of disposal according to The Flag Code approved by Public Law 829 on December 22, 1942 by the 77th Congress, 2nd Session.
venus
Cheshire UK
venus is female  venus has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Personally I would like to see more flags flying here in England.
Sweetsue
midWales
Sweetsue is female  Sweetsue has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Question... is there a proper protocol for disposing of your flags.. ?? Here they have to be burned. AND it's a Federal law

Understand the law. If you don't properly dispose of the American flag properly, you could be breaking federal law and be liable for fines and, in rare cases, imprisonment.

Follow custom. Burning a tattered American flag is the preferred method of disposal according to The Flag Code approved by Public Law 829 on December 22, 1942 by the 77th Congress, 2nd Session.
I don't think there is any protocol about the correct disposal of national flags in this country. Interesting to hear that you have that law in the States.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-07-2014, 10:03 PM

Such a shame we're not more patriotic and I wonder why that is. But the good news is that here, off the south coast of England, lots and lots of people have flag poles in their gardens all kinds of flags are flown...........Union Jack, St Georges flag, Isle of Wight flag(!), and a few others I can't identify.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 12:28 AM

Apart from Australia Day when you see the hoons with their Australian flags on their cars I would guess the the most common flag waving would be during the State of Origin games.

There is always a NSW State flag and Australian flag on the harbour bridge (except when the NSW Premier lost a bet with the Queensland Premier and had to fly the Queensland flag for a day)

Sandi
Adelaide, South Australia
Sandi is female  Sandi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-07-2014, 01:50 AM

I fly the Australian Flag (Small) on the aerial on the roof at the back of my car every day of the year and have done so for the last 20 years.

Amazing how easy it is to spot the car in the carpark when it's full.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top