Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 07:22 AM

Re: What Would I Look For In A Bike?

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
Make sure its light ,as a wide Saddle for a comfortable ride.,,a few gears to make it easier going up hill.Good Brakes for going down hills and stopping .
I agree with you on all except the saddle, a wide saddle is not more comfortable than a narrow one except when you first sit on it. You can however get saddles designed especially for women, it is hard to go past a brand like Selle.

The best UK brand is probably Brookes but they are leather and it takes a while to break them in
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 10:02 AM

Don't skimp on good protective gear. Nearly everyone I know who rides a bike on a regular basis has had an accident at some time or other. My sister was knocked off her bike only last year and if it wasn't for the fact she wore a helmet she would probably have been killed as it split in 2. Came out of it all badly bruised with a broken wrist.

Only heard last night that my mate's brother came off when riding a mountain bike and sustained a number of breaks in his arm.

Probably put you off riding a bike altogether now .
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 02:48 PM

Above all, try it for size and make sure the saddle can be adjusted low enough for you to put your feet firmly on the road after stopping.
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I agree with you on all except the saddle, a wide saddle is not more comfortable than a narrow one except when you first sit on it. You can however get saddles designed especially for women, it is hard to go past a brand like Selle.

The best UK brand is probably Brookes but they are leather and it takes a while to break them in
I did a lot of biking up until a few years ago,and i mean a lot i tried a narrow bike seat,but only got to enjoy biking with a wide seat for ladies.I did a 24 hour charity bike ride ,in thunderous rain and if it wasnt for my trusty wide seat .i would have given up .
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Don't skimp on good protective gear. Nearly everyone I know who rides a bike on a regular basis has had an accident at some time or other. My sister was knocked off her bike only last year and if it wasn't for the fact she wore a helmet she would probably have been killed as it split in 2. Came out of it all badly bruised with a broken wrist.

Only heard last night that my mate's brother came off when riding a mountain bike and sustained a number of breaks in his arm.

Probably put you off riding a bike altogether now .
That IS the main reason I am afraid of riding a bike! I have to look after around 100 animals plus about 20 birds day in, day out. Unfortunately, even if I didn't care about myself, I have to take care of myself just to care for this zoo!

My husband gets nervous about me riding a bike. He works for what money we get & I look after the sanctuary. Maybe I'll just use our Skywalker thingy Can't fall off that!

http://www.google.ca/images?q=tony+l...A&ved=0CAsQsAQ
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
Above all, try it for size and make sure the saddle can be adjusted low enough for you to put your feet firmly on the road after stopping.
If you adjust the seat like that it will be far too low for riding safely and effectively. When you stop you get off the seat or tilt the bike slightly.

The seat should be adjusted so that, with the pedal at its lowest extent and the ball of your foot on the centre of the pedal your leg is almost but NOT quite straight. If it is too high your hips will rock side to side.

The fore aft position is also important - With the crank horizontal the bone immediately below your knee cap should be vertically above the shaft of the pedal.

These are starting point adjustments and a few mm up or down and back and forward can make all the difference.

There is nothing worse than a badly adjusted bike, it is tiring, inefficient and can do you harm in the longer term.

Also make sure the saddle is horizontal and never tilted back (a tiny bit of nose down is ok)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top