Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:14 AM

Re: The Old Fart Thread

Originally Posted by alice76;565956[B
]It's usually aimed at a grumpy old person. [/B]One who doesn't try and move with the times as much as they could. Never done whinging. You've got to feel sorry for them in a way

Believe it or not, I mean it affectionately when I greet my friend's husband with - hello you old fart, how are you - He is the sort of bloke that says outrageous things to people, always winding them up, and I know he doesn't take offence.
Mostly though, I keep it for old fart drivers who poddle along in the middle of the road at about 18mph, and slam their brakes on at every bend! Drives me bonkers.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Fredtheshed ->
When does someone become an old fart? Some say its not relevant as its all in the mind . What do you regard as an old fart?
Is there such a thing?
I don't like to see derogatory terms used to describe those who do not share the opinions of some people, to me it is rude and disrespectful to describe anyone that way.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 10:27 AM

Although some people use it "affectionately" (if you could say that), it is a rude thing to say. I do know lots of people who say it though.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 11:38 AM

I think life's journey (if a bad un) can make an 'old fart' out of someone. Look no further than the classic tale of 'Ebenezer Scrooge'.

I don't think anyone is born an 'old fart' as the dictionary definition is someone who is a sourpuss, someone who is always grumpy. I think a few on this forum appear to be 'old farts' to others because of their upbringing and set in stone moral standards. Their conditioning has resulted in them having pretty closed minds in a kind of military way. Probably of benefit to them really as their exhibit 'backbone' - men of high moral stance. Pain in the rear to the likes of me though - and vice versa .
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 12:10 PM

Farts mature with time, hence becoming Old Farts, but being a Fart, have they changed that much ?. Is Fartdom an inherited trait, an aquired skill, or only in the mind of the beholder.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 12:19 PM

I have been described as an `old fart`, and not with evil intent,because I do not have an all singing dancing mobile phone and I listen to records(vinyls) on a record player.
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by donnamarie ->
Its all in the attitude! To me, an old fart is just a sourpuss that has lost their zest for life; it doesn't really have an age.
I know a man in his 40's at the time, that was a real stick in the mud. He did nothing but watch tv and complain a lot.

On the hand, I've heard of an 80+ women in my Dads village that used to do her shopping with her bicycle. My Dad himself used to call himself "the big kid". He built motorized models and belonged to a modeling club that had monthly meets. He was in his 60's at the time. He loved good music, especially swing, and was quick with a joke. He died at 81, and he was never an "old fart".
My thoughts too Donnamarie !
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fredtheshed ->
When does someone become an old fart? Some say its not relevant as its all in the mind . What do you regard as an old fart?
I would think you have the choice what kind of an old anything you want to be as soon as you feel you are past your prime. Some folks become annoyed and upset because they are getting old and slowing down a bit, this shows on the outside and in their behaviour with others probably making them a cranky old fart.
Others accept they are pushing on and are glad they have made it so far still in one piece and able to get around, they are content inside and that too shows on the outside making them more acceptable to others. In my opinion.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I would think you have the choice what kind of an old anything you want to be as soon as you feel you are past your prime. Some folks become annoyed and upset because they are getting old and slowing down a bit, this shows on the outside and in their behaviour with others probably making them a cranky old fart.
Others accept they are pushing on and are glad they have made it so far still in one piece and able to get around, they are content inside and that too shows on the outside making them more acceptable to others. In my opinion.
That just about sums it up Jem. I like to think that I belong to the second group.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-11-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
Yip,that's how this young/old fart feels too ;~)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top