Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2013, 02:38 AM

Re: Moggs The Cat Caught A Baby Snake!

yuck hate snakes and spiders .. yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck yuck
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

12-10-2013, 02:41 AM

We have an Australian house spider here,a Huntsman Spider,they are always in my place but Moggs kills and eats them,he likes spiders and other insects,these spiders are very big and scary but realatively harmless,they are poisonous but have tiny fangs,unlike the Funnel Web.

Huntsman

BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2013, 08:24 AM

I love spiders. They are such a fantastic piece of Art when you think what they can do. I know you don't want them to bite you but they are made to be efficient at killing their food and have been on Earth for at least 400 million years. I pick Spiders up when they fall in the bath as they cannot get out. I know I would not do that with a Black Widow but I don't kill the ones that are harmless in England.
The poisonous ones that have just hit the South of England may not survive as they are not used to our very cold Winters Plus if I remember what it said about them its the False Widow so not as venomous as the real one in Australia.
Thanks for the stories Bill its great to hear how the other half lives
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

12-10-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by BowieEyes ->
I love spiders. They are such a fantastic piece of Art when you think what they can do. I know you don't want them to bite you but they are made to be efficient at killing their food and have been on Earth for at least 400 million years. I pick Spiders up when they fall in the bath as they cannot get out. I know I would not do that with a Black Widow but I don't kill the ones that are harmless in England.
The poisonous ones that have just hit the South of England may not survive as they are not used to our very cold Winters Plus if I remember what it said about them its the False Widow so not as venomous as the real one in Australia.
Thanks for the stories Bill its great to hear how the other half lives
I am glad you enjoyed reading about it,and all of the animal and insect world is interesting,makes you wonder just what type of intelligence designed them all,and us too!
We think we know everything but in reality we are just low level cave dwellers,lol..but all creatures have a certain function and a certain set tools to survive,we being intellectual have personal choices,the animals and insects just use basic inborn instinct,it really is an amazing world that we inhabit,I think humans by nature can be crueller than any animal/insect predator and usually by choice,thats sad.
But happy you enjoyed reading about Moggs the cats little escapades around the house and garden,he is curled up fast asleep in a box in the back room,no doubt dreaming about his dinner in an hour,i picked up a little bit of road kill roo from a mate,he loves his roo meat,i hate it!
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

12-10-2013, 09:52 AM

A Wolf Spider for you,I get these sometimes,they seem to come out after the wheat farmers have cropped and then burn their paddocks.

And a beautifull face only a mother could love,Wolf Spider close up.

Billy
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by billsteamshovel ->
I hate spiders,when i lived in Sydney NSW and the Blue Mountains we were forever getting rid of Funnel Web Spiders,what a nasty thing they are,they cause more deaths in Australia than any other spider,Moggs was bitten by a Redback spider about 3 months ago,made him very sick for a week,the Redback is a close relative of the Black Widow spider,i will find a photo for you.
Don't mind spiders at all, they eat the real nasties like cockroaches and mossies. I have only seen one funnel web since I moved from Sydney to the Wollongong area but there are lots of red backs.

Personally I never hurt them there has been a family of red backs living in my garage door and on my front verandah for at least 30 years. No one has died from a spider bite for decades I have lost one dog which might have been a spider bite but just as easily could have been a snake.

The only annoying spider is the the Orb Weaver; they build the biggest, stickiest webs across paths and gaps. Every so often one builds a web across the gap between my house and the fence (about a 3 metre gap) when you walk into it it is like walking into a sticky net but I cannot bring myself to hurt them.

This was the latest Orb Weaver in my garden
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2013, 01:45 PM

can you imagine wakening up to find one of them on your pillow...i can't kill them either,,,i don't go near enough .....if hubby wasn't there to get rid of them...i'd hoover them up...
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

12-10-2013, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by lavander ->
can you imagine wakening up to find one of them on your pillow...i can't kill them either,,,i don't go near enough .....if hubby wasn't there to get rid of them...i'd hoover them up...
The spider Bruce has put up are a nightmare,where i lived in the Blue Mountains in the 70's we were innundated with them,they seemed to fly across the pathways you walked on,must catch the wind when hanging on a thread and get blown over,then they make the web which is about 2 foot diameter right at face height,walk into that in the dark and its worse than the bathroom scene in the movie Psyhco,another really nice spider to look at is the St Andrews Cross spider,heres a pic i found on the internet.

Billy
billsteamshovel
Rural Australia
billsteamshovel is male 

12-10-2013, 08:16 PM

Here is another from the internet,I have seen this in NSW where whole paddocks are covered in cobwebs,apparently the wind blows them while they are spinning gossamer threads,i have a photo somewhere from near Port Maquarie NSW that i took one earl morning,I will find it and scan it and post it,its really interesting stuff.

Billy
Abby
Australia
Abby is female  Abby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-10-2013, 08:41 PM

Great pix Billy - good to see you back

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top