Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 02:03 PM

Re: And your view is...

Yes he was great Bob, a true professional from the old school of comedians, unfortunately we didn't get enough of him over here. I faintly remember reading about his Son having leukemia and Red taking him on a World trip, I think he even took him to see the Pope, sadly the Boy eventually died.
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Bob Monkhouse, was voted top blue comedian. For his over 21 only shows.

I live not far away from the Embassy Club, Bernard Manning's Club, he is still remembered with pride for all the good work he did and he would ask if he could get back chat from s person of a different race before he came on stage and would make sure the table was well treated.

I do agree he was as we say now un-pc but never did I see an upset audience member.

Bob Monkhouse always insisted that no one should move while he was on stage. Bernard loved someone walking across to go to the toilet, he got a right good laugh, they would get a free drink.
bobmielke
Portland, OR
bobmielke is male  bobmielke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 02:38 PM

Here's a Brittish actor/comedian I remember from some comedy movies. He was hillarious, Terry Thomas.

Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 03:39 PM

Morecambe and Wise have always been my favourite comedians ....... I don't think there will ever be another two like them!

Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 04:31 PM

That was also Dave Allen's saying - another very funny man.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
I`ve never gone for the comedy of stand ups, but the new batch particularly just seem to rely on shocking the audience with filth to raise a laugh. Real comedians don't need to, and the best ever stand up of the past had to be Bob Monkhouse....probably!
Exactly my view too, never really could see what the attraction was, a few (and it is only a few) were able to get a laugh from me, Bob Monkhouse was one of them.

Originally Posted by bobmielke ->
The funniest man alive to me was Red Skelton, known as the prince of clowns. He didn't have to say a word to get you laughing.
You never heard a filthy word from Red's lips and he always ended his show with "Goodnight, and may God Bless"!
I'm sure some of Red Skeltons shows have been shown over here in UK 'tho I must admit I can't remember the titles.

I don't think he did much 'stand up' work but one of my all time favourite comedians was Phil Silvers, no one ever came close to his perfect timimg
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2011, 10:21 AM

My two favourite all-time comedians were Frankie Howard (briiliant stand-up) and Tony Hancock.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top