Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:50 AM

Re: What Is The Difference Between An Opinion And An Argument?

There's no difference between differing opinions and an argument, it's just how it's managed.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 11:56 AM

Yep, agree with that Longdogs.
If I give my opinion, then you give yours and then I say that you're wrong, that's me starting an argument

Come 'ere and say that!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Yep, agree with that Longdogs.
If I give my opinion, then you give yours and then I say that you're wrong, that's me starting an argument

Come 'ere and say that!
'Pud 'em up Tess'
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
In that case maybe IS should be permitted to express their evil opinions! I DON'T THINK SO!
I don't have a problem with ISIS expressing their opinions - in the cold light of day their opinions are clearly nonsensical. It is only in darkened rooms full of sad morons looking for excitement that they carry any weight. It's not their ridiculous opinions that worry me, it is their evil actions.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I am neither racist nor homophobic, but I believe strongly that people should be allowed to express their opinions whatever those opinions might be. By all means argue against them, take the p*ss out of them - but no-one should be denied the right to express their opinion. That way lies unacceptable authoritarianism and worse.

An opinion is just that - an opinion. An argument/discussion/debate is when two or more people discuss the differences between their opinions in an attempt to convince others that their opinion is correct (and vice versa).

Name calling etc in the course of an argument/discussion/debate is just childish nonsense usually revealing the weakness in someone's argument.

An excellent and most cromulent post.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 05:13 PM

An argument is purely the by-product of a person with zero debating skills, zero conversation skills, zero understanding of human interaction.

An argument ensues when a such a person wants to throw out their viewpoint with no come back, with no desire to try and support the view, to have that view analysed and commented on by others.

An argument ensues when an immature person wrongly believes that one needs to score intellectual points in a conversation, that a debate is somehow a contest that has to end in a winner and a loser.

An opinion is just a viewpoint nothing more. Everybody has an opinion.

However, when you choose to offer that opinion out onto a public forum then you have to expect it to be analysed and commented on. You may even be asked to substantiate and support that opinion with facts and evidence.

Debate is a skill to be learned. Debate seeks to air opinions, explore their sources and look at the evidence and reasoning behind them. Debate seeks to gain benefit from that process whatever the outcome is.

Many people simply have never had any exposure to debating. When they put up their views on a public forum they can be staggered by the amount of commentary that arises in response to it and often they are wholly unprepared for that. Some take offence to it, some feel threatened by it.

It takes time to learn how to present viewpoints, how to listen to others viewpoints, to empathise, sympathise with their views and so on. It is a life skill.

Arguments are just the product of people still trapped in teenage maturity.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-06-2017, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I am neither racist nor homophobic, but I believe strongly that people should be allowed to express their opinions whatever those opinions might be. By all means argue against them, take the p*ss out of them - but no-one should be denied the right to express their opinion. That way lies unacceptable authoritarianism and worse.

An opinion is just that - an opinion. An argument/discussion/debate is when two or more people discuss the differences between their opinions in an attempt to convince others that their opinion is correct (and vice versa).

Name calling etc in the course of an argument/discussion/debate is just childish nonsense usually revealing the weakness in someone's argument.
Well said MickB Debate is about trying to persuade somebody that your opinion is right, but personal criticism usually demonstrates that, the person using it, is running out of valid points to raise.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top