Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 03:37 PM

Re: Making your life in another country..

I now realise I could live in different parts of Scotland, but not in another country. When I'm on holiday I always imagine if I could live there, but it's always a resounding "no". Lovely to visit, but I'm a home bird at heart
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 10:13 PM

My best friend went on the Ģ10 scheme to Australia in 1967, as did another class mate. Of course being just 14 years old I couldn't think of following her, but the idea of emigrating hasn't yet enthralled.

However, having enjoyed nearly 3 weeks in NZ I could contemplate living there, except it is expensive. But, oh what a fabulous country. I remember having a lamb shank meal in a Queenstown pub in the garden and talking to a young family who had emigrated there. I was quite envious because Queenstown is my absolute favourite place in the world.

There are so many things I would miss about the UK. The tv and its programmes for a start. Our supermarkets. Tea. The ability to find a café or restaurant to get a decent and cheap meal.

But then again there are many things I wouldn't miss...
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Emigrated to S.Africa in the 80's as 1st wasband got a job for their Defense Force. I loved it and the people but unfortunately my marriage broke up, wasband returned to UK & I couldn't manage with two young children out there, or I would have stayed.
FLYBYNIGHT
West Sussex
FLYBYNIGHT is female  FLYBYNIGHT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-08-2014, 11:48 PM

I am Dutch and met my English husband in Holland. Came to England when I married and have been here ever since. Can't really imagine living anywhere else now.

FLY
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-08-2014, 05:17 PM

I didnīt find it a wrench leaving UK and I canīt say Iīve ever wished to go back to live there. Living in east Africa was an experience, some good some bad, more bad than good, but I do miss the wildlife there. The early days in Spain were quite frustrating, mainly because of the language barrier, but one way or another we coped. These days of course the language barrier is minimal, I get by with my Spanish but many of the Spanish speak English too, we get by okay. I donīt think I would want to cope with the upheaval, red tape etc of moving to yet another country, here will do just fine.
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 07:21 AM

In the mid 70s, when I still lived in NZ, all my friends were marrying and having kids, but I wasn't ready for that yet, so my girlfriend and I starting travelling. We did all of NZ first, then went to Australia.
We spent 5 years there on a working holiday, and had a ball, but I could never see myself settling there permanently.
Next stop: BC, Canada, and here I have stayed.
It's a lot like parts of NZ, so I've always felt at 'home'.
The one thing I did miss, and still do, is the people.
And the white sand beaches.
And the tree ferns.
And.....
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 02:56 PM

I admire people that can pull up stakes and move to another country.. whether for a short time, or forever. I have not had the desire though.. In fact.. I wouldn't want to live in another region in the US, except for MAYBE the Pacific Northwest.. But for the most part, I'm rooted here in the Heartland USA
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
But for the most part, I'm rooted here in the Heartland USA
You have absolutely no idea how hilarious that statement is in Australia.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2014, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
You have absolutely no idea how hilarious that statement is in Australia.
Care to explain?

You DO realize that we call the Midwest section (middle portion) of the USA the Heartland... don't you?.... no probably not.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-08-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by AudreyII ->
Care to explain?

You DO realize that we call the Midwest section (middle portion) of the USA the Heartland... don't you?.... no probably not.
Way, way off... It's the use of the verb 'to root' that is so funny, its why Australians fall about laughing when yanks say, 'I'm rooting for you'

It means to have sex, '(S)he's a good root' or you could say, 'My car is rooted' (ie a substitute for the F word) or a promiscuous man is called a Wombat because he 'eats, roots and leaves' (note the comma)

Geddit? Now read what you wrote.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top