Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 11:04 AM

Re: Retirement

It's a much over-used saying, but we found that "We've never been so busy since we retired". Unfortunately, living in the "wilds" so to speak, there aren't many opportunities for adult education, U3A etc.., but we have great opportunities for cycling, walking, hill climbing, exploring etc.

We bought an old house and garden in need of TLC, and have taught ourselves all sorts of skills such as joinery, plastering and building stone walls.

We also had the good fortune to make friends with a couple of lady academics who decided to swap the lecture theatre for a market garden.
Dianne works a few hours a week for them on the gardening side and I do casual maintenance jobs, cutting grass etc..

You'll find, as we did, there are so many things that you simply never thought of, and your days will be both full and fulfilling.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 02:49 PM

I have been retired for a few years now and like the others on here I dont have enough hours in the day. I get to the evening and I think, Oh no its time to go to bed again where did the day go. I interested myself with doing my Ancestry online and have researched my family tree back on lots of names to 1550 or near there. So thats a good interest if you are interested
I keep fit by walking and of course if you have Grandchildren you will get roped into looking after them My sister when she retired the other year she started singing in clubs and pubs on a night as she has always had a great voice, so there are lots of things to do and and having been a rabbit owner must say they dont walk far and have a mind of their own, lovely pets though. Enjoy your thoughts of the future retirement and I am sure things will fall into place. They did for me.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bluebell ->
I like the idea of joining lots of things that allow me to meet nice people and do something worthwhile. I just hope I can find ones that I enjoy. I imagine it's a matter of luck whether a particular group suits you or not. And where you live will dictate how many organisations have local groups.

I'm not a dog lover I'm afraid - maybe I could buy a rabbit and take it for walks?

Lorna darlin' - being a Gormand, better not bring it this way - its likely to get put in my pot as a rabbit casserole.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 05:42 PM

I may not agree with you on other things Joe, but I'm very partial to rabbit myself. (Tastes a bit like chicken)

Several of my neighbours have suggested that I should keep chickens. Not a bad idea and when they stop laying, they make a decent coq au vin.

Lots of things you can do when you're retired.
Bluebell
Berkshire, UK
Bluebell is female  Bluebell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 06:11 PM

It's really nice to hear such positive tales of retirement. U3A sounds like a great idea. It's particularly good to hear positive things from single folk, as I think there is a huge difference between being retired and living alone and being part of a couple. I'm no shrinking violet, but there are lots of things that are harder, or less fun, when you are on your own.
Bluebell
Berkshire, UK
Bluebell is female  Bluebell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by The Dog Lover ->
Hi Lorna,

I am retiring in a few months time and can't wait ! I am never bored at home. Apart from my dogs I love handicrafts and always have something on the go. Once retired I am going to put my house on the market and move to Norfolk and will probably try and do some voluntary work once I am settled. Do you have any hobbies you could expand or maybe do something totally different once you have the time.

There is an organization called U3A - University of the Third Age. It is specifically for retired people and they have branches nationwide. There is a small membership fee and they have loads of activities. I am going to join when I retire for sure. Do a search and you will find them easily. Just a thought.

Val
So why Norfolk? I'd be really interested to hear how you get on moving to a new area once retired. I think about moving nearer the coast, or if my daughter settles in NZ permanently maybe even retiring out there, so would love to hear about the challenges of making friends in a new area at that age.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-01-2013, 11:29 PM

You will always find plenty to do Lorna, the beauty is you can do it when YOU like, I have never regretted giving up full time work, exercise is very important too, if you don't keep it up it's easy to stiffen and get lazy, I'm a bit lazy but I keep doing the daily exercises, keep in touch with your work friends when you retire and they'll fill you in on anything you missed.
As for moving to a new location, that's always a risk and I suppose it's down to luck whether you'll like it or not.
The Dog Lover
Watford
The Dog Lover is female  The Dog Lover has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Bluebell ->
So why Norfolk? I'd be really interested to hear how you get on moving to a new area once retired. I think about moving nearer the coast, or if my daughter settles in NZ permanently maybe even retiring out there, so would love to hear about the challenges of making friends in a new area at that age.
Hi Lorna

I love Norfolk and have had many holidays there and really want to move there once I finish working in London. I particularly love the Broads and the coast and Norwich is a really nice city as well. I plan to move to a town called North Walsham which is halfway between the Broads and the coast and on the mainline train service to Norwich. I am on my own now since my partner died in 2011 and no family apart from a cousin in Jersey so although I do have friends in the area it won't be such a wrench for me as it would be for someone with children/grandchildren etc. I hope I will be able to make some friends when I move and there is a branch of U3A in North Walsham so I will certainly be joining that for starters and see how I get on. I have one friend in Norfolk as well who I hope to see more often although she lives to the west of Norwich so won't be on my doorstep so to speak. I can't wait to start the ball rolling when I leave work in May. Bring it on !!!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 11:55 AM

I hadn't reaised you retired in May Dog Lover - that's no time at all. Have you started looking around for a place to live yet. I think I would be in and out of the estate agents like a fiddler's elbow. Exciting times to come I am sure. Best wishes.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-01-2013, 11:59 AM

I know how much you are looking forward to retirement Val, you seem to have it figured out well, I really hope everything works out great and you have a long and happy retirement.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top