Join for free
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2013, 09:20 AM

Re: The Selfish Generation

Not yet they are making is wait longer to get it and have said it will keep going up so eventually it will stop I am guessing as althought they keep saying people are living longer many families average age of death hasn't changed much in years.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

01-05-2013, 09:25 AM

govts just haven't come to terms with people getting healthier and living longer.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I think a lot has to do with the way you are brought up Davo. If you are told when you are a child to have respect for authority, your elders, your country, and yourself, it will stay with you all through your life, it will become part of your nature. On the other hand if you are told to put yourself first, "Always look after No.1" then how can you have respect for anyone, least of all old people who are only a nuisance to you and as far as you are concerned should be all put down when they reach 60, oh yes I have heard some young people say this. Thankfully my two kids and my grandkids have been thought respect at a very early age and now its a part of their nature, so you could say I have been an eye witness to this process.
Upbringing can only go so far - when people develop minds of their own, their ideas can change; if they have a selfish streak which was kept under wraps by the parents and encouraged not to develop, once they have flown the nest, they are free to behave in a way that suits them rather than their parents - this is what happened to my daughter. Up until that point, she was one of the most caring people you could ever meet - now (in her boyfriend's words) she has a stone where her heart should be. Even her own children come under the cosh of her selfish behaviour. My son is the exact opposite - still very caring and very supportive as are both of my granddaughters (who spent the majority of their young childhood with me). Sometimes, people prefer to think of themselves - it's less hassle and less demanding on their time.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

01-05-2013, 09:36 AM

as a parent and grandparent myself what fascinates me is where does this selfishness come from ? - is it there at birth? - I doubt it unless there is a selfish gene we haven't discovered yet. does breast feeding create selfishness - now there's a Phd in the offing if ever I saw one. Or is it sibling rivalry that brings it out. And is it there in the first place [back to the gene] or does it grow from experiences. the mind boggles. but it seems true that no matter how parents try to treat all equally one can emerge as the 'selfish one' well I'm just confused now!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2013, 09:46 AM

I find it hard to see it as how a person is raised as in both my family and my husbands we have some incredibly selfish people and some truly giving people, all brought up by the same parents so should have turned out similar surely.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2013, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
as a parent and grandparent myself what fascinates me is where does this selfishness come from ? - is it there at birth? - I doubt it unless there is a selfish gene we haven't discovered yet. does breast feeding create selfishness - now there's a Phd in the offing if ever I saw one. Or is it sibling rivalry that brings it out. And is it there in the first place [back to the gene] or does it grow from experiences. the mind boggles. but it seems true that no matter how parents try to treat all equally one can emerge as the 'selfish one' well I'm just confused now!
Already been researched and Dawkins has already sorted it out for everybody mindbender - Richard Dawkins wrote a very well known book about "The Selfish Gene" back in 1976. Well worth a read, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene
mindbender
mindbender is male 

01-05-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Already been researched and Dawkins has already sorted it out for everybody mindbender - Richard Dawkins wrote a very well known book about "The Selfish Gene" back in 1976. Well worth a read, I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Selfish_Gene
I doubt if it has 'all been sorted out' as you put it - but another interesting theory. evolusion - the fittest survive the weakest die. but I think many humans would suggest that when can transcend this state - there are thousands of examples were the fitness will die for the weakest and none least than the crucifixion - no I doubt that it has all been sorted out - it has only just begun! that is why selfishness is regarded across many or maybe even all cultures as a negative trait to be re-directed!

and yet what still fascinates me is how it can start so young
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2013, 10:28 AM

I agree with you Julie, same in my family, I can only say that the two most selfish & self absorbed ones were born during the war & were treated to private education and indulged in every way by family & state.
I must admit to thinking this thread was going to be about "baby-boomers"!
I know several young people and none of which are selfish, in fact I find them polite and more considerate than was the case when I was their age, especially towards their elders.
I do think, however, that now we have a situation where older people are no longer revered as wise and looked to for information, guidance etc. as youngsters have far more information available from other sources.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2013, 10:33 AM

govts just haven't come to terms with people getting healthier and living longer.
Perhaps they should stop bullying us into being "healthy", let us get on with it and die when we're supposed to instead of living like zombies!
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-05-2013, 11:22 AM

I doubt if it has 'all been sorted out' as you put it - but another interesting theory. evolusion - the fittest survive the weakest die. but I think many humans would suggest that when can transcend this state - there are thousands of examples were the fitness will die for the weakest and none least than the crucifixion - no I doubt that it has all been sorted out - it has only just begun! that is why selfishness is regarded across many or maybe even all cultures as a negative trait to be re-directed!

and yet what still fascinates me is how it can start so young
I was being a little facetious when I said Richard Dawkins had "sorted it all out" Mindbender - hence the smiley I put in. I don't think evolution is still regarded as still theory by many people these days, although I am sure there is still much to learn and it is a subject which has fascinated me for as long as I can remember. I am prepared to accept it - by and large the fittest do survive and the weakest - or less able to adapt don't (unless artificially helped to do so). To me its perfectly natural and although it is a complex subject, it makes sense to me.

I don't want to go into the realms of religion and the crucifixion, on this one but I agree that it is possible for people to put themselves aside for the sake of a weaker person, (or what is perceived to be the "common good" especially if there is a "cause" or a religion figuring in there.

I am not sure I agree when people say that all selfishness is a negative trait and should be re-directed. I think I would associate what is described as "selfishness" - particularly in regard to young things (birth to maturity) as being closely linked in with survival. A baby is selfish - it has to be to survive. It's built in from birth and a baby will demand and take everything it's mother or care-giver can give. A young child is similar, but is usually learning, modifying and adapting as it matures. I think it is natural. I see this in my own grand children every day - it's still there even in my grown up children sometimes - (although they do modify it). I would not want my children to put me before my own grand children or themselves - their time (and struggle) is now and to come. My children are completely self-less when it comes to their own children - it is what I would expect. I think people and groups can often be thoughtless and this often comes into things when people say others are selfish. Sometimes when an adult is seen as selfish, there may also be an element of fear sitting alongside that selfishness.

It's an interesting subject and thank you for raising it Mindender.

Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top