Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

25-05-2013, 09:23 AM

Re: Does the ‘church' still believe in the devil?

Originally Posted by MickB ->
More importantly does evil still exist now that Harry Potter has finally killed Voldemort?

The devil is the religious world's biggest cop-out!
"It wasn't me guvnor - the devil made me do it!"
a mis-quote 99.999% would never use that excuse - but it still could be true!
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
a mis-quote 99.999% would never use that excuse - but it still could be true!
Of course it is true, many say their excuse was that "I had the devil in me" as an excuse for a wrong doing.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
The devil is there so we can do evil, then we have someone to blame!
There are thousands of devils in this world, just be careful who you have for a friend.
Exactly! That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 11:34 AM

.....also, does anyone else have to wear rubber-soled shoes if they go into a church?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 01:02 PM

Twiz .......You do make me larf - thank God for you - I say
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Someone call me??? - Lucifer here!!!
UJ - just fab - you little devil ......
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 03:58 PM

What about Morgoth and Sauron aided by the orcs, the nazgul and the balrog - and who could leave out that skinny little scroat Golam - about time he got some clothes on
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2013, 09:41 PM

Not sure the church still believes in the devil but maybe there have been numerous 'devils' running the church. Am I allowed to say that?

I'm constantly amazed to see the number of churches in tiny welsh villages. I run a lot and end up on back roads and come across these churches more or less hidden away now. What really sticks in my craw is the size of these buildings and the area of ground they occupy. Imposing structures built in areas where money was very short but it seems no expense was spared.

The 'devil' must have been all consuming at one time to little welsh village parishioners else where would all the dosh have come from?

Though thinking about it I don't suppose many church goers question (ed) the existence of any greater being but simply go (went) along as is (was) expected of them. Welsh sheep comes to mind.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

26-05-2013, 02:25 AM

started off well but then finished with drivel - never mind there more around here. I do think you do a dis-service to your own countrymen/women and the history of the proud welsh people. The Welsh as you well know are renowned and proud of their church focused choirs. I also did some hill walking some years back in Wales and found similiar structures you describe. For me it was a feeling of sadness that these beautifully constructed churches [I they were not the size of cathedrals] were often neglected and unused. Why simply because most of the population had moved away. But I personally feel sure that they were built with ready available materials from around the countryside and therefore not expensive but even more significantly built with love for each other and their God.

Suggesting that your own folk simply went to church as sheep are herded into a pen is insulting and demeaning and drivel!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-05-2013, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
Suggesting that your own folk simply went to church as sheep are herded into a pen is insulting and demeaning and drivel!
I'm afraid my thoughts on this are not confined to my 'own folk' but ALL. As you can obviously make out I'm an atheist. I can also remember the times when I was forced to attend these incredibly boring episodes at our local church. Practically all of those attending did so out of a sense of obligation and not anything else. No 'love of God' overwhelmed them that is certain.

Pretty sure that religion will take more of a back seat in our lives as time goes by. Just take a look at the empty churches all around us now. I hope this extends everywhere and to every country as it should deminish all the atrocities commited by the crazed religious fanatics out there.

Still, people who DO believe in 'God' seem to be all the more happy for it so no doubt people like me are the ones losing out.

End of drivel...hopefully...

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top