Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 01:01 PM

Re: The Sun

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Before everyone runs for cover, makes biblical prophecies, digs large holes in the ground, tries to build spaceships to colonise other planets whilst the Earth gets burned to a crisp....Solar magnetic pole reversal happens every eleven years. As we just about managed to preserve mankind last time, it's an outside bet we will just about manage to scrape through this one.

Graham, be honest now.........did you make up all of that ?
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 01:15 PM

Don't panic
As I read it, the sun will flip its' magnetic field, not actually turn upside down. Reverse polarity. It happens every eleven years (??)
Our own planet flips too, about every 200,000 years.

A quote from Canadian scientists :- The sun's magnetic flip is expected to increase the chance of significant solar flares, which are eruptions of magnetic energy from the sun’s surface. But these solar flares, when interacting with Earth's magnetic field, can knock out man-made satellites and power grids, affect navigation equipment on airplanes, and interfere with other electronics and communications systems.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Janela ->
But these solar flares, when interacting with Earth's magnetic field, can knock out man-made satellites and power grids, affect navigation equipment on airplanes, and interfere with other electronics and communications systems.
Well Rachel won't have to worry her mobile going iffy as she can't find her charger.

*sniggers*
Libera
Kent
Libera is female  Libera has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 01:19 PM

We are used to crazy weather and other blips now, so we can get through this I am sure!
I love a serious scientific debate, lol!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK
Janela is female  Janela has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Navigation equipment on airplanes now that is a worry.
......but as long as it doesn't lose me my internet connection, I'm not too bothered.
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
Well Rachel won't have to worry her mobile going iffy as she can't find her charger.

*sniggers*

and so .... another dilemma rears its ugly head.

Is it worth splashing out around £6 on a new charger ?

Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Rachel ->
and so .... another dilemma rears its ugly head.

Is it worth splashing out around £6 on a new charger

Answer: Depends on how bad you need your phone!
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Well I hope if we are going to perish it will be soon so I don't have to worry about Christmas presents giving an event to which I don't really subscribe being a humanist but one I have to observe to pacify certain family members.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-11-2013, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by Graham ->
Before everyone runs for cover, makes biblical prophecies, digs large holes in the ground, tries to build spaceships to colonise other planets whilst the Earth gets burned to a crisp....Solar magnetic pole reversal happens every eleven years. As we just about managed to preserve mankind last time, it's an outside bet we will just about manage to scrape through this one.
I was just about to say, "Doesn't it happen every now & then", don't fret folks!
Janela
Fondly Remembered
Essex UK

17-11-2013, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Well I hope if we are going to perish it will be soon so I don't have to worry about Christmas presents giving an event to which I don't really subscribe being a humanist but one I have to observe to pacify certain family members.
Tell me about it Meg
And the cheek of my grandchildren, well the three oldest, who don't believe in father christmas but still expect their sack of presents
Maybe this 'flip' will turn off his sat nav

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top