Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Azz
Admin
South Wales, UK
Azz is male  Azz has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 03:57 PM

Re: Marvellous Server Technology

Haha I wish.

Thankfully the server is shared by the other sites like Dogsey, which help towards the cost and the rest is subsidised by me.

Server costs have come down a lot in recent years too, just a few years ago a 64GB Ram server would have been way out of our budget.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Haha I wish.

Thankfully the server is shared by the other sites like Dogsey, which help towards the cost and the rest is subsidised by me.

Server costs have come down a lot in recent years too, just a few years ago a 64GB Ram server would have been way out of our budget.
You should look in to running a home server setup. My server would run this forum easily, and a load of others at the same time. The only problem is, of course, you are at the mercy of your home broadband provider and line. I know my lot carry out maintenance or adjustments during the early hours of the morning. This doesn't impact on my sites really - bar for my huge one as the Google crawler hits a non responsive site on a big scale - but the others seem fine.

With broadband so much more powerful, and getting more so, running a home server should be considered by anyone needing to save money whilst running websites.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2014, 11:49 PM

Is this a Wind Up?.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2014, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Is this a Wind Up?.
The good old clockwork server, you can't beat them.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2014, 08:15 AM

Is this a Wind Up?.
Probably .

Darn server problem again. Been running around the clock for about a year with no problems but it froze a number of times the other day. I noticed 2 hard drives were flickering red so these were changed but I had my suspicions these were not the reason for the freezing.

Got up this morning very early - 4am - and my alarm clock was off so decided to check my computer for the time - blasted server had frozen again. I have opened a lot of new sites very recently and Google has a habit of crawling them overnight thereby increasing the load on the server but I can't see that causing it to freeze. I think there might be a memory problem or something. Anyway swapped the hard drives over to another identical server (practically) but the network wouldn't start - shit! I had to do this ...

sudo nano /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules

(the above is a file editing screen)

and then comment out the SUBSYSTEM lines, of which there were 4.

Once the above was done ubuntu server was able to reconfigure the network.

Server is back online now but I'm not happy as I don't have a backup server. Also thinking I need more ram - even a more powerful server altogether - as I intended to create a load more shopping sites. Time to scour Ebay again I think ...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2014, 08:40 AM

Sounds very frustrating MKJ, I empathise, a lack of Ram always gets my Goat.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2014, 08:44 AM

Sounds very frustrating MKJ, I empathise, a lack of Ram always gets my Goat.
I have been warned about mentioning and talking about animals on this forum .
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-03-2014, 08:55 AM

GOAT = Gigabit Operational Advanced Transmission.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

16-03-2014, 09:05 AM

Yayy - found a cracking server that can use my hard drives. Tis a much more powerful beast (oops animal reference again) than my current one.

HP ProLiant DL585 G2 4x Quad Core 2.0Ghz 32GB RAM SATA/SAS RAID Server Quad ESXi

S*** load of other configurations available too ...

Other Configs
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

16-03-2014, 11:00 PM

Digital open network Transmission

Electronic data intrusion time

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top