Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Graham
South Hampshire
Graham is male  Graham has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 08:08 AM

Re: Tips

I only tip in exceptional circumstances. When I pay for something, I feel I have a right to a basic level of service. If that level of service goes further than my expectation, only then will I tip.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Used to do the Hairdresser, as a kid i relied on my tips at Christmas for delivering the newspapers.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 09:09 AM

Always tipped waiters, waitresses, I know how little they earn .....
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 10:03 AM

I always give my h/dresser a couple of quid on top, usually because she always fits me in quickly, and out of habit. I always round up a taxi fare too, but taking a taxi is rare for me. Have had the need several times since my surgery to belt down to the doctor's surgery, and sometimes when returning from holiday.

Eating out? Hmmm, depends. Don't tip all the time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 10:52 AM

I am a real skinflint and don't tip anyone for anything
HTB
Lanc's
HTB is male  HTB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I am a real skinflint and don't tip anyone for anything
well i'm the opposite, I tip everyone...........especially for good service..........as for tipping in the U.S.A. unfortunately it is obligatory, as it makes up their wage, because they are so poorly paid............generally about 15-20%.......and yes it does bring the bill up.............if your in a group of 6 or more, they automatically take 20%................ H
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 01:15 PM

I always give a tip, not because I feel obliged to but most people I'm dealing with deserve a little extra, lounge boy/girls who take your order when your seated away from the bar their wages are pitiful, hotel staff when we're on holidays, taxi men/women are most helpful and there are so many taxies on the road here now they have to struggle to make a living. If I have a decent win in the bookies (seldom is wonderful) I leave a few quid with the manager to get a drink for the very helpful staff, I never go near the barbers as I cut my own hair, that's about it. Shame on the governments for taxing small gratuities when the multinationals are getting away with billions in unpaid taxes.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I always give a tip, not because I feel obliged to but most people I'm dealing with deserve a little extra, lounge boy/girls who take your order when your seated away from the bar their wages are pitiful, hotel staff when we're on holidays, taxi men/women are most helpful and there are so many taxies on the road here now they have to struggle to make a living. If I have a decent win in the bookies (seldom is wonderful) I leave a few quid with the manager to get a drink for the very helpful staff, I never go near the barbers as I cut my own hair, that's about it. Shame on the governments for taxing small gratuities when the multinationals are getting away with billions in unpaid taxes.
You are absolutely right Jem
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-05-2014, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I always give a tip, not because I feel obliged to but most people I'm dealing with deserve a little extra, lounge boy/girls who take your order when your seated away from the bar their wages are pitiful,
Why not pay them a proper wage in the first place then tipping becomes defunct?

Mind you our current government would like to do away with awards and the Fair Work Commission but after being thrown out of office by Work Choices they are erring on the side of caution as far as industrial relations are concerned.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

24-05-2014, 01:25 PM

The 'service' workers have never been paid a decent wage and rely on tips ...

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top