Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 07:02 PM

Re: Starting A Forum

care to be more specific?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 07:05 PM

For someone like me it is possible to have a forum up and running in under an hour, in fact a lot sooner really. For someone not used to seeing the admin side of a forum or having no idea on how to do various things it will take a while, but a lot depends on the type of forum software you use. You also have to consider a domain name and hosting. Once it is all up and running it is then a matter of how much control you want or to just let the thing rip - as in anyone can say anything.

There are lots of different types of forum software out there. Open-source ones (free ones) can be found here ...

http://www.opensourcecms.com/scripts...catid=5=Forums

I use minibb on my own sites as it is very fast but does require you know coding to implement changes. The real big boys in the open-source market are phpBB and SMF. There are also very interesting ones such as Vanilla that break the mold somewhat.

What most use - if you have a few bucks - is vBulletin (probably what this forum is based on) but it ain't free.

http://www.vbulletin.com/en/

I knocked up a full site for my local running club in just a few hours and that included adding a shop. The minibb forum they are using can be seen here ...

http://tapitout.co.uk/forum/index.php

As you can see it is a totally different type of forum that I have had to upgrade in various ways - Gallery etc.

I love messing with forum software but not the actual running of the forum itself as that would undoubtedly bore me after a while.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 07:05 PM

Should I ask Azz if we should be charged a fee for space allotments on the forum then perhaps stupid questions won't be asked. Geez, sorry I didn't realize I committed a crime

Maybe I should be screened 1st.

Didn't know this thread was important enough to be Wumified!
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Should I ask Azz if we should be charged a fee for space allotments on the forum then perhaps stupid questions won't be asked. Geez, sorry I didn't realize I committed a crime

Maybe I should be screened 1st.

Didn't know this thread was important enough to be Wumified!
I don't always use my WUM powers you know. The trick is to know when I am .
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
I don't also use my WUM powers you know. The trick is to know when I am .
Wasn't talking to you.
Thanks for the info, will put it in my folder.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 07:10 PM

it tales WUM to know WUM, enough said, carry on AC and MKJ
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario

15-06-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
it tales WUM to know WUM, enough said, carry on AC and MKJ
Hoo boy, help me pleeeze

I knew I should've listened to my "trust monitor" the last time!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-06-2014, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
Hoo boy, help me pleeeze

I knew I should've listened to my "trust monitor" the last time!
Don't worry AC many of us enjoy your threads, even learn from them so carry on asking always someone has the answer and sadly someone complains. Becoming a habit isn't it ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

15-06-2014, 07:16 PM

What is going on - getting lost here?

Have I inadvertently intervened in an online handbags at dawn type situation?

Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire

15-06-2014, 07:16 PM

me too AC, I'd never heard the word WUM until I joined this site and you were the first person that enlightened me, it's rude imo and unnecessary

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top