Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 05:25 PM

Re: Death Penalty

I agree.... It's even stranger here in the States. We have our Teabagger Conservatives who are anti-abortion... they call themselves pro-lifers.. YET they are in favor of going to war.. anywhere and everywhere, and are proponants of the death penalty. The irony is lost on them.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
I think there's a case now for the death penalty - with forensics being so good now. There needs to be a time say 5 years before its carried out, for appeals. But - I am for it.
We are running out of space now to house prisoners and why should we house murderers anyway. They gave no consideration to others when fulfilling their deed or deeds, why should I to them. Particularly serial killers - they would have gone on and on, if not caught
I agree, Patsy, under certain circumstances it's the only answer. There are people who just can't be rehabilitated, it seems. Any child murderers should face the death penalty.

It's an emotive subject but I feel strongly in favour.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by cranberry ->
I agree, Patsy, under certain circumstances it's the only answer. There are people who just can't be rehabilitated, it seems. Any child murderers should face the death penalty.

It gives society immense satisfaction to take the life of someone who is guilty of a heinous crime particularly when it involves children.

Yet somehow we have decided that we should make it as neat as possible.. So neat that the convicted murderer appears to just peacefully go to sleep.. no muss.. no fuss.. afterall we have come so much farther than the messier forms of capital punishment.. and we no longer carry them out in a public square with an almost carnival atmosphere as in days of old. We like the idea.. just not the spectacle.

But make no mistake.. Lethal injection, while it gives the appearance of being a medical procedure... is NOT a medical procedure.. It is the willfull taking of another human life. We can make the judgement that that person does not deserve to live.. because of what crime he has committed, but the fact remains.. we are still, as a society, murdering someone.

Perhaps we should go back to the days of the guillotine, or the firing squad.. or perhaps public hangings.. just so we no longer delude ourselves as to what we are doing.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:21 PM

If the death penalty happened in Great Britain, then we'd owe Scottish Power a fortune. The electric chair would be going at full pelt on a daily basis. Especially with the celebrities who've abused children. We'd be in arrears and get the lights turned off.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:26 PM

When Ian Brady went on hunger strike they forced fed him to keep him alive.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:30 PM

I can't feel any sympathy for child abusers/murderers Audrey, I really can't. Children do absolutely nothing to deserve it.
Perhaps a firing squad alice76, quick and no electricity needed!
AudreyII
USA

07-08-2014, 07:35 PM

I can't feel any sympathy for child abusers/murderers Audrey, I really can't. Children do absolutely nothing to deserve it.
Perhaps a firing squad alice76, quick and no electricity needed!
Don't misunderstand.. I am agreeing with you.. What I'm saying is that we shouldn't be making it nice and neat and medical in order to make us feel more civilized. If we are killing... we are Killing.. even if it's State sanctioned.

We stopped using the electric chair here because it was felt it was too gruesome and cruel... and those that were allowed to witness it didn't like seeing someones eyeballs melt out of their heads.. or smell the smell of burning flesh.

That's why we went to lethal injection in the first place.. Now we cannot even do that right..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:40 PM

At least Fred West did the job for us
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:50 PM

I don't agree with the death penalty. Its too quick and easy.
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2014, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by alice76 ->
If the death penalty happened in Great Britain, then we'd owe Scottish Power a fortune. The electric chair would be going at full pelt on a daily basis. Especially with the celebrities who've abused children. We'd be in arrears and get the lights turned off.
We could always build a guillotine, that would be cheap, and it would boost the sales of wool with all the women sat at the front knitting.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top