Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 08:01 AM

Re: Internet Safety

I'm not so sure about the if it looks too good to be true, when I was scammed I had sent for a free sample of toothpaste, I saw the ad on a well trusted forum. Many companies send free samples and money off future purchases I have done it many times from other trusted sites. The companies do it as advertising and to get those who aren't going to purchase without trying something first to buy.

When the ad stated free sample but you pay for postage (£1) I thought fair enough but the toothpaste when it arrived wasn't toothpaste at all it was a gum shield and bleach solution. I thought nothing ventured so only a pound lost.
Then bank statement arrived and £128 had been taken - contacted them and they said I would be receiving other goods, I said I didn't want anything else, so they said they would repay my money as soon as I returned the goods. Waited nothing arrived checked my bank and another £150 had been taken so contacted the bank.

No help there !

So from what is quite a normal free sample offer, sort of thing I have done hundreds of times in the past a financial mess.

They have spoiled it for many of us who get these offers and many companies who advertise this way. Latest Nivea campaign didn't do well apparently very few applicants for the free offers. It will and is having an impact on legitimate businesses as well as hurting people who apply for the items.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I'm not so sure about the if it looks too good to be true, when I was scammed I had sent for a free sample of toothpaste, I saw the ad on a well trusted forum. Many companies send free samples and money off future purchases I have done it many times from other trusted sites. The companies do it as advertising and to get those who aren't going to purchase without trying something first to buy.

When the ad stated free sample but you pay for postage (£1) I thought fair enough but the toothpaste when it arrived wasn't toothpaste at all it was a gum shield and bleach solution. I thought nothing ventured so only a pound lost.
Then bank statement arrived and £128 had been taken - contacted them and they said I would be receiving other goods, I said I didn't want anything else, so they said they would repay my money as soon as I returned the goods. Waited nothing arrived checked my bank and another £150 had been taken so contacted the bank.

No help there !

So from what is quite a normal free sample offer, sort of thing I have done hundreds of times in the past a financial mess.

They have spoiled it for many of us who get these offers and many companies who advertise this way. Latest Nivea campaign didn't do well apparently very few applicants for the free offers. It will and is having an impact on legitimate businesses as well as hurting people who apply for the items.
Julie that sounds very similar to Carol's experience..
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthread.php?t=19712

The 'free samples' are just a come on to get your bank details by pretending you are giving them for postage.
You may be able to get your money back too (see Carols thread)..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 09:19 AM

We went as far as we could in getting it back no go though. I was surprised at Carol's experience when she wrote about it when I wrote about mine initially the reaction on this forum was unkind to say the least. It seemed some thought anyone responding to ads get what they deserve. I do wonder if I had been listened to at the time if Carol would have had to go through it too or if we could have all learned from it - too late now I guess. But it is still shocking to me forums like this allow dodgy adverts.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
I could tell you how to stop the adds but Azz removes any such posts, i wont click on any adds, especially some of the ones ive seen. So many spying sites out there you have to be so careful when logging in as some love to dump little programmes to monitor your surfing. Personally i think it should be illegal to install anything without the permission of the end user, there is plenty of software out there to aid in keeping your puter clean but its always an ongoing battle, they only need to get lucky once.

100% agree with that Nom, can't understand why its allowed at all.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 09:48 AM

I know the ads are necessary to keep a forum going, but I don’t think thats really what Roseredlee is on about, it’s the sneaky intrusive manner in which they appear, like someone is looking over your shoulder all the time. I recently bought a home security camera from a well known company and the very next day when I went to this forums page there was the company’s ad showing my camera and others smack right in my face! To me that is a bit too much and I for one will never buy anything again from that company, I think if companies continue with this type of invasive advertising they will lose out in the long run as folks will turn against them, that type of thing really gets peoples goat.
Roseredlee
United Kingdom
Roseredlee is female  Roseredlee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I know the ads are necessary to keep a forum going, but I don’t think thats really what Roseredlee is on about, it’s the sneaky intrusive manner in which they appear, like someone is looking over your shoulder all the time. I recently bought a home security camera from a well known company and the very next day when I went to this forums page there was the company’s ad showing my camera and others smack right in my face! To me that is a bit too much and I for one will never buy anything again from that company, I think if companies continue with this type of invasive advertising they will lose out in the long run as folks will turn against them, that type of thing really gets peoples goat.
Yes Jem - and to be fair it doesn't just happen on this site, it's everywhere. It is counterproductive as you say. For years I have never watched commercial TV - and now I hear the adverts are every ten minutes or so, more adverts than programme. How can you concentrate. And now the same distractions online. (The one on TV that used to irritate me beyond words was that ghastly mum with her nauseating little girl in the Fairy liquid adverts - I would never have bought it on principle after that! But we are all being targeted very specifically on here (esp. any guys looking for a lovely Asian or Russian bride! Thought it was a bit sexist till a Cougar and appeared...)
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2014, 12:36 PM

We went as far as we could in getting it back no go though. I was surprised at Carol's experience when she wrote about it when I wrote about mine initially the reaction on this forum was unkind to say the least. It seemed some thought anyone responding to ads get what they deserve. I do wonder if I had been listened to at the time if Carol would have had to go through it too or if we could have all learned from it - too late now I guess. But it is still shocking to me forums like this allow dodgy adverts.
Julie I don't remember that can you show me the thread please ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Sorry I can't remember the title of the thread I just remember being a bit taken aback by the serves you right response from several members.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

20-10-2014, 12:49 PM

Sorry I can't remember the title of the thread I just remember being a bit taken aback by the serves you right response from several members.
I can't find it Julie are you sure it was on here and not another forum. I have done a word search on toothpaste and it doesn't come up

ETA ok found the thread
http://www.over50sforum.com/showthre...ste#post437164

I thought you meant it was your thread..
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

20-10-2014, 12:52 PM

It wasn't an entire thread I just mentioned it in a general thread I can't even remember what the thread was originally about - we do tend to wander sometimes LOL

It was here I remember the people who commented and they were definitely here - couple have left or seem to have disappeared since so probably not our normal type of member !

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top