Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 12:31 PM

Re: Its my fault ?? (update @post 27)

I am so sorry to hear about this horrible experience for you and Benny, it must have been very traumatic for you both. I am firmly of the opinion that ALL dogs should be kept on leads when out in public, not only for the sake of the public and other dogs but for the safety of the dog itself. Any dog can react unexpectedly to certain things, a loud noise that scares them, another dog coming to attack them, anything. I agree with Julie, some people should never be allowed to have a dog. I think back to the story that hit the papers 2/3 years ago when the little blind Bichon fell into the sea and a young man, German tourist I think, went in to save the dog. Quite frankly I think the owner of the dog should have been prosecuted, I couldnīt believe anyone could be so irresponsible to have a small blind dog running loose on a sea front promenade. I do hope that poor Benny and yourself too of course donīt suffer after effects from this incident.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 12:51 PM

Cass I really feel for you having been in a similar situation with my previous dog
Amy was 15 with a heart problem and CCD (dementia) and we were strolling through the field when a mad woman who lives nearby came into the field and let her 4 dogs off the lead and they came straight for us . All I could do was to pick Amy up and to wrap her in my jumper but that didn't stop the dogs jumping up and barking and snapping.
The owner said 'they only want to play'.
I decided it was no good getting in a state so quietly asked the owner to put her dogs on the lead and tuned and walked away without another word knees trembling and still holding my shaking dog .
Some people are just ignorant and best avoided.

I do hope Benny is ok ...
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 01:15 PM

Benny is normally a confident little dog and Ive just seen Remy snuggled up next to him so he is getting lots of comfort...

I think dogs need the space to run about and I know dog on dog scraps can occur about a ball, or dominance or a nice smelling lady!!!

But this was out of the blue and it was the sheer arogance of the owner that really got my back up..

I walk my dogs in various places but I never chat on the phone or use a walkman (Ipod ) because walking the dogs is their time and I devote that time to them...

One of the places we go is a little island where there is a strict walking only rule.. Benny is allowed off lead there because he has the whole place mapped out in his head and never puts a foot wrong.. Bear in mind he's blind ..could you walk the plank as well as he does?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9V1J_MpZuw
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 01:47 PM

This "he only wanted to play" is just absurd.

If one or even 4 men came running at me on a field or on a
street, I wouldn't at all think they were coming to "play"
How different is it for one or 4 dogs - no difference.

Quite obviously these people need more training than their dogs.
Only way people are going to be adults with dogs is by the law
coming down on them hard and new laws making.
Plus brave people like yourselves who go to the Police, dog wardens
even RSPCA and report them. I would get some publicity as well
if you feel up to it. Local newspaper or even local radio would work.
Good luck to you and your dogs and I hope this kind of thing stops.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2015, 01:56 PM

You did right Cass - hope Benny will soon be fine x
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
When I pulled up and demanded the mans name he gave me it..Ive checked it on FB and its true!!!

So I was able to give that info to the police plus I took a photo of the man and his dog and of course of Benny's injuries,..
Ive bathed his ear one wound is a lump of skin missing the other is a clean puncture straight through the ear..

Im thinking of going to the vet in the morning ( no one open today)
I'll get it billed and make a compensation claim against the other owner via the police

Cass, that's a horrible thing to happen, and is one of my biggest fears when I'm out with my own dogs. I have one very old dog who is coming up 17, she has had two strokes. She can't walk far these days, but still likes to come with me to post a letter round the corner. No way would she be able to cope with what happened to your Benny, and, like you, my instinct would kick in immediately if another dog tried to hurt her.
Trouble is, often the police won't get involved in a dog-on-dog problem, they will only help if you get hurt. I do think you may find the other owner committed an offence by not having his dog on a lead, and maybe it didn't have a name tag either for all you know, but these are minor offences, and whether this would help you is another matter.
There is also a law about a dog being "Dangerously out of control" and it says you only have to THINK you might get bitten to get something done. Google the dangerous dogs act and see.
Also, I would definitely take Benny to the vets, because it will then go on his records as further evidence. Wounds are not only about the ones we can see anyway, he may be in shock too.
I am sick to death of those type of owners. Good luck.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I would like to see it made illegal to have a dog while on a bike or when pushing a pram etc people don't have their full attention on the dog and they are usually the ones who lose control.

Phones too seem to feature in a lot of attacks someone too busy texting to worry about what their dog is doing.
Absolutely right, I get so angry that some people don't take enough care of their dogs, why do they even get a dog if they prefer to talk or text on their phone rather than keep an eye on the dog.

One needs to know what an 'attack' is actually in the dogs mind. A lot might be a desire to dominate and bring the other dog into their pack, this is programmed into some (not all) dogs genes and there's nothing can be done about that (Other than keeping them on lead, properly supervised and controled, when ever the possibility of meeting another dog occurs)

Also of course a real 'attack' is often the fault of the owner but of course being a 'human' they will never accept that it's their fault, if only we could get rid of those types of humans
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:29 PM

we have a dog warden service run by the council, they would prosecute on the owners behalf for sure!
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:42 PM

OK well I saw the police today.. It didnt come to much because it boils down to his word against mine ( even though I have photos of the injuries).

But they have written it all down and are sending one officer round to talk to him about his behaviour toward me, and the animal control officer to talk to him about taking responibilty for his dog.
The council have also been advised that they have an out of control dog in the area and will be contacting the man..

Via facebook and the local telephone book I was able to find out quite a bit about this man ..He is 39 and a football referee, his claim to fame being that he refereed games in the London 2012 paralympics..He has done an interview in a local paper and is so proud of himself and talks about respect being such an important part of the game ..( hypocrite)

As I pointed out to the police he is putting himself up there as a role model and yet he behaves like an absolute pig.
They agreed but sadly its not against the law to be an uncouth pig!

I hope the upcoming visits from local officals will help deflate his over inflated opinion of himself.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-02-2015, 11:54 PM

if you have a free local newspaper in your area it may have helped to send them your story, several are printed in ours and other people may come forward who have had similar experiences and may be with the same person! it's always worth a try, sharing such issues can benefit the community

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top