Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2015, 05:08 PM

Re: Growing and Potting on

I'm not a vegetable grower, keep meaning to but somehow never get around to it, good intentions and all that....but I do have lots of pots and chimneys which look lovely later on.
Down here it's mild and my back yard (patio if you must) is very sheltered which means I can plant now and not be worried about dropping night time temperatures.

The thing is...it IS therapeutic isn't it?

For an hour or so this afternoon I've been mucking about with earth and compost and refilling some of my pots with my favourite - semi trailing begonias - it's quite taken my mind off some unpleasant thoughts of impending skin surgery looming, I feel much more relaxed and calm now.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Mups I am afraid to mess with my houseplants, I once repotted one I had for 20 years and killed it

I think this is going to be my best year yet for growing garlic (autumn planted) they are huge already.

Have repotted the strawberry plants they are looking great to..

Ah, that's a shame Meg, I'd have been heartbroken losing a plant that age. I don't usually find it a problem, just make sure the compost is the correct sort for the plant.
I've just split some African Violets that had several crowns each, and another one (which I've forgotten the name of), and the Aloe Vera's just keep multiplying but I can't bear to throw them away. I just gave 13 to someone!
I've also got 2 Christmas Cactus from Mum's mother plant I wanted to keep as a memory, and they look well so far.
Just got the geraniums to pot on now, then sow some more lettuce leaves.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-05-2015, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Ah, that's a shame Meg, I'd have been heartbroken losing a plant that age. I don't usually find it a problem, just make sure the compost is the correct sort for the plant.
I was Mups it was a weeping fig which had grown to 6 ft, I did all the right right things should have left well alone .
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 04:08 PM

Good news and bad news. The lettuce just sprouting have been eaten in the garden after watching them grow in the greenhouse, that is the bad news. The god news is that after a little bit of rain the potatoes are beginning to show they have taken and started to grow.

Next time netting over lettuce and slug deterents.
Anzac
South West UK
Anzac is female  Anzac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 06:41 PM

I sympathise realspeed, I started my beetroot off in cells in the greenhouse, put them in the ground only to find the birds were ripping them to shreds for Spring greens! I've got them covered now...that'll stop their gallop, little wretches And this morning something had been digging in my carrot bed! Cat? Rabbit? Not sure but now they're netted as well. My whole veg garden is going to disappear under netting at this rate

And yes you're right ruthio, gardening is very therapeutic and as you say good for calming the mind, I always think of it as a kind of messy meditation.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Anzac ->
I sympathise realspeed, I started my beetroot off in cells in the greenhouse, put them in the ground only to find the birds were ripping them to shreds for Spring greens! I've got them covered now...that'll stop their gallop, little wretches And this morning something had been digging in my carrot bed! Cat? Rabbit? Not sure but now they're netted as well. My whole veg garden is going to disappear under netting at this rate
I always cover my young veg plants with wire netting, if I didn't do that I wouldn't get any produce.
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 06:50 PM

I do love these gardening threads . I no longer have a garden. Don't miss cutting the grass, but do miss all the plants and weeding and all that comes from it. A couple of hanging baskets are all I can have here, but it doesn't stop me enjoying reading what other people are doing. You can get so much pleasure from a garden.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 07:13 PM

I've been busy repotting small chilli plants and cauliflower seedlings, as well as tomatoes and more rocket. It has been so cold, though, that I've got everything except the cauliflowers inside on windowsills and I'm running out of room!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-05-2015, 10:26 PM

Same here Ania, it is a nuisance keep putting stuff out during the day and bringing it back in at night at the moment. Like you, the window sills (and some worktops) are overflowing. Looks like a flippin' market garden in my house.

I keep saying I'm not buying any more plants, I've got so many pots to feed and water. But today, I saw the prettiest Dianthus and it smelled (smelt?) divine, so I couldn't resist.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-05-2015, 09:34 AM

I love dianthus. Have several different ones in the garden.

Well it's pouring with rain today so no gardening for me!

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top