Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2015, 07:18 PM

Re: Marmite

Not keen on marmite but vegemite is delicious and yes we will be taking a pot to the caravan with us
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2015, 09:51 PM

I just love Marmite on toast also Bovril is nice on toast not many people know that?☺
Doc
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2015, 11:33 PM

I quite like Marmite but, don't often eat it, it makes the roof of my mouth sore! Sister and BIL when they lived in the US would drive hundreds of miles to buy it in a little shop that sold English things.
opheila
North Jersey, US
opheila is female  opheila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 01:26 AM

Definitely none of these things crossed the water...what do they taste like exactly? I've heard of them and know they're spreads.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 04:41 AM

OPHELIA

Yes, they are spreads. There are three similar products that are common and popular in Britain and it's old empire countries, now called the Commonwealth

Marmite is a by product of the brewing industry, made by processing the surplus yeast that is produced, and adding salt & other ingredients; thus it is called a yeast extract

Bovril is concentrated beef extract but contains about 27% yeast extract

Vegemite is yeast extract, but made in Australia

They can all be used as a stock or flavour enhancer and added to soups & stews, but besides this Marmite is often eaten as a spread on toast; Bovril is often made up in hot water as a savoury drink; Vegemite is also frequently eaten as a spread. no doubt some of our Ausralian members could tell us more.

They have all been around a long time and have become part of our culture, especially from childhood; possibly a bit like American kids relate to peanut butter.
They have a distinctive strong savoury taste, which people tend to like or dislike. Thus if something is described as being like marmite, or having a marmite effect, it means it is liked or not, with no half measures inbetween
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Marj ->
My marmite goes everywhere with me, especially on my hoidays
and me, Marj ! I love it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 07:00 AM

Great descriptions, Zuludog!

I love Marmite and Bovril and use them a lot in all the ways you mentioned.

Don't like Vegemite at all.

Love peanut butter - but make my own. Commercial stuff has (or tastes as if it has) too much salt in it.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 07:04 AM

Excellent description zuludog.

I love both marmite and bovril, but couldn't take to vegemite. Threw an entire jar in the bin after trying it.

I have heard of the pound jars and will look out for them. When I was in the convalescent home they had the mini portions at breakfast time, which I had each morning (only did cooked breakfasts Wednesday and Sunday), so I made sure I ordered plenty of toast for the table.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-07-2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Great descriptions, Zuludog!

I love Marmite and Bovril and use them a lot in all the ways you mentioned.

Don't like Vegemite at all.

Love peanut butter - but make my own. Commercial stuff has (or tastes as if it has) too much salt in it.
Wow, your post just beat mine while I was composing, and they're identical. Almost.

Forgot to add, I also like peanut butter but don't have it all that often. (Started to roast my own peanuts. Lovely!)
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

06-07-2015, 08:29 AM

Great minds, Jazzi !

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top