Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 06:21 AM

Re: your first job

Did you stay with the hairdressing Mups ?

My first was waitressing absolutely loved it
Much preferred to office work
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 06:28 AM

My first job was in a florists in the kings road Fulham. The owners were lovely people and going into work was always a pleasure no matter what the work the smell and sight of all the lovely flowers just made me feel happy.

I always loved talking to the customers about their choices of flowers too..If I had a chance Id do it again in flash!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 07:17 AM

I started as an apprentice fitter at the coal mines on £2/17/6d per week but didn't stop long, as I was seduced into the building trade as an apprentice bricklayer for a mighty £3/2/3d .....
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 07:36 AM

Aged 12 a paperboy, by 13 i had a morning and evening round. Potato picking and selling sticks for firewood all kept me in money so i could buy my own clothes, usually from my mothers catalogue.

The shop top left was my first employer. Later my Electrical career was begun just down the road a bit.

I did this until 15 when i started as an apprentice Electrician, moving through the ranks until i was a foreman and did a lot of Inspection and Testing until a few years back when my health deteriorated.

Although my job did not give me the satisfaction of earlier years, i do miss the banter and camaraderie, and though my desire is too return to work, the reality i now face says otherwise.

I had been offered office based jobs, but could never see myself in these roles, my independence and sense of fair play, would not have gone down well.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 08:32 AM

Started out as an apprentice electrician in the hot summer of 76, made redundant 3 years later and ended up at rowntrees( now nestle) packing fruit gums on a 3 shift system absolutely hated it but managed to move onto regular days on the estates dept which wasn't bad , but then decided to leave and work on commercial laundry equipment , 26 years later I'm still here but am looking to leave as we've just been taken over and will probably have more hours an weekends to work..... any ideas anyone. ?
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 08:40 AM

First job was as a shop assistant at an army surplus store on Saturdays

First proper full time job was as a laboratory assistant at the Co - op sweets & jam factory in Stockport
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:04 AM

My first job was with a news agency in Fleet St in the photographic dept. at first I was a 'runner' taking the pictures to the different newspapers in and around Fleet st. Also washing the prints as they came through the 'hatch' and drying and glazing them on these big hot drums. Later I went into the dark room doing the odd jobs such as mixing chemicals, copying, etc.
But in my time I had 17 different jobs until I became a London cab proprietor/driver for 46 years and retired at 70.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:35 AM

[QUOTE=Patsy;685216]Did you stay with the hairdressing Mups ?

No, I didn't Patsy, but it comes in handy when I'm clipping my Bedlingtons.

I went to college to learn typing, then much later, got my food hygiene certificate and did catering, then later still, went back to college again and got my city & guilds in agriculture - then married a farmer.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 09:59 AM

Ooo I'm impressed Mups
I did train meself though in everything to do with office work
Accounts - typing - telephonist - telex machine - I wanted to experience it all, even did me own form of shorthand - loved me waitressing more though
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-08-2015, 10:06 AM

You got me there, Pastsy, we did audio typing, I never learned shorthand.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top