Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 09:50 AM

Re: Winter Tyres - the 5*C rule?

Gosh I must be dumb , I never knew there was such a thing as winter tyres , I learn something new each day
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 10:17 AM

I don't have winter tyres , it would be far too expensive too have two lots of tyres.
It only takes a small amount of snow for me to be cut off because I live at the bottom of a hill on a no through road and the gritters don't come down here.

I don't go out in the car if it snows, in an emergency I can walk the few miles to town.

Now we have internet shopping it is not such a concern.
I am always well stocked with food anyway.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 10:21 AM

No but I do have a vehicle that can be put into 4 wheel drive. Studded tyres are banned in the UK and snow chains only used to get out of trouble.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 10:22 AM

Dobra, when I lived across the Solent from you, I remember some pretty bad winters. That was when I first learned that Volvos were lousy in the snow. On the other hand, it was good fun to slide down Butser hill on a tea tray!
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 11:18 AM

And, another reason for me, is nowhere to store them.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by ScottishCatLady ->
It feels almost as if you are driving on bald tyres the grip is so bad.

Maybe that has changed though, the last time I drove on winters during summer was years ago.
Maybe it has changed, all I would say is that I've never experienced any problems driving in summer on M&S tyres.

I also prefer the term 'M&S tyres' in place of 'Winter tyres' as the latter implies only in winter.

They are a tad more expensive than 'normal' tyres but in my opinion tyres are the one thing which is worth paying a bit more for.

From an engineering point of view I think it is a miricle that an area barely more than the size of your hand (Times 4) can keep a vehicle weighing several tons on the road at speed.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Gosh I must be dumb , I never knew there was such a thing as winter tyres , I learn something new each day
As I said above the term 'winter tyres' is unfortunate, they are really M&S grade tyres. If you ask your garage to fit 'winter' tyres you should see the letters stamped on the tyre wall. You still need to use caution when snow and ice are about but they do provide a tad more grip.

Incidentally in most European countries if you have an accident in winter and you don't have M&S stamped on the tyre wall your insurance will NOT pay out.
ScottishCatLady
Moray, Scotland.
ScottishCatLady is female  ScottishCatLady has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-10-2015, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I don't have winter tyres , it would be far too expensive too have two lots of tyres.
It only takes a small amount of snow for me to be cut off because I live at the bottom of a hill on a no through road and the gritters don't come down here.

I don't go out in the car if it snows, in an emergency I can walk the few miles to town.

Now we have internet shopping it is not such a concern.
I am always well stocked with food anyway.
That's my thinking too. As long as I can get from my back door to my shed, there is about the equivalent of two large animals in frozen meat!!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top