Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2015, 05:58 PM

Re: Lord Janner ruled unfit to plead or to stand trial

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I think there should be a statute of limitations on sex crimes .. everyone involved is older now and after 50 years memories will be somewhat unreliable.
I agree. In the case of historic abuse cases, why haven't the alleged victims come forward sooner? After all that time what can be really proven? It's one person's word against another's in many cases.

Isn't there a statute of limitations in the US for historic abuse allegations?
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2015, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
In the case of historic abuse cases, why haven't the alleged victims come forward sooner?
Lacked the courage
Weren't believed
Were told not to be ridiculous
Were told not to tell wicked lies
Were too traumatised/damaged
Felt ashamed
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-12-2015, 06:51 PM

Lord Janner saved by his ailments! How very convenient!!
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by Cass ->
I think there should be a statute of limitations on sex crimes .. everyone involved is older now and after 50 years memories will be somewhat unreliable.
Try telling that to a victim of abuse.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Browbeaten ->
Try telling that to a victim of abuse.
It may actually help some, if they had 10 years for instance they would know they had to get it together to complain or try to get over it some other way.

These cases where they were abused so long ago seem so sad to me as they have carried that around for so many years, if they could get justice within a certain period it could be what they need to begin to heal.
Browbeaten
manchester
Browbeaten is male  Browbeaten has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-12-2015, 10:58 AM

The only reason that these cases are being brought into the public domain is the media and the publics expectancy of justice, misguided as it may be.
Saville, Smith et all were allowed to get away with their antics by there fellow kiddy fiddlers in the establishment, including the police.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-12-2015, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by ruthio ->
Lacked the courage
Weren't believed
Were told not to be ridiculous
Were told not to tell wicked lies
Were too traumatised/damaged
Felt ashamed
This may well have been the case 50 years ago when these alleged crimes too place but not so nowadays when its quite fashionable to talk about it and so if we now introduced a staute of limitations it might help spur victims into coming forward sooner and not have to have this scenario drag on for another 50 years.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 11:39 PM

Now we'll never know.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-12-2015, 11:49 PM

Yes .. I see he's died.
If there was ever a convincing argument for a time limit on historic abuses cases this has now supported it, to me , anyway.

Liz Dux, who represents six alleged victims, said: "This is devastating news for my clients. They have waited so long to see this case come before the courts, to be denied justice at the final hurdle is deeply frustrating."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-35142675

She could have phrased it better.
The guy was still innocent until proven guilty ... he was old and it's not surprising he's died.
So her clients have been denied a trail, or justice .... but then again if they'd come forward sooner they might have got it.

I'm just wondering whether the media circus and vilification and compensation claims will rumble on now with a 'dead' accused, as with Jimmy Savile.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2015, 12:15 AM

Well he's dead now. For those 'victims' who were just jumping on the band wagon, it serves you right. For those poor genuine victims, I feel sorry that they have not been able to see their case through, but if the guy was guilty then those victims can rest assured that he had a very traumatic end to his life. I feel sorry for his surviving relatives who have had to deal with his alzheimers disease and watch him slowly get worse. They will now have to deal with any fall-out over this case, and they were certainly not to blame.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top