Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 12:33 PM

Re: Credit cards

Only had a credit card once and i was shocked at the charges made, so i cut it up. Dangerous things and i can see how they can lead people into debt.
zuludog
N E Lancashire
zuludog is male  zuludog has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 12:55 PM

I have accumulated 3 credit cards, and at one time I had built up a fair amount of debt on them
Well they were all paid off about 3 years ago and I've kept them clear since then. Unless anything unexpected happens I don't think I'll build up a large debt again.

But I'll keep them just for that unexpected event. If you're driving around on holiday for example you never know when you might need a new tyre or a repair
I also take one when I'm backpacking. I like to think that I'm an experienced & seasoned camper, but if the weather turns really bad I can retreat to a hotel to get warm, dry, and fed, then sort out the finances when I get home

In the meantime I use them every few months to buy something minor that I know I can pay off easily, even grocery shopping, to keep them active
They are also very useful for buying things on the Internet
Marion
Norfolk
Marion is female  Marion has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 01:01 PM

I have a credit card, it comes in for my craft work. I use it for Paypal, and then when the payment is due, it just comes out of my bank account. No problem.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
Hi patsy , going into you bank and inserting your credit card , putting in your pin number and just asking for a balance check , keeps the card active . Even if you've not used your card for a long time . It's the action of doing this that keeps card active .

Hope this makes sense
Ha ha - yes that makes sense - I haven't a bank nearby and don't use cash machines - so we'll see how it goes
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by myrtle ->
The Halifax withdrew my credit card a few year ago because I hadn't used it for a very long time
Yes will probably happen - then again I may make the odd purchase, but I'll wait and see first
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 06:24 PM

I have a prepaid card, I think I read in the rules that they have a very small charge added it you let a month go by without using it, something like 50 cents, I am not certain about this. I have never been charged anything extra yet as I will always buy something small to keep it active every month.
The government here charge every card holder 2.50 euros per annum for the privilege of having a card, prepaid cards included.
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Do you have to use your credit card regularly in order to keep it ?
Its going to be a 'rare' event for me now and I wonder if they will cancel my card - any idea ?
I use mine all the time Patsy as I get cashback for using it, a no brainer really!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-12-2015, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Honey ->
I use mine all the time Patsy as I get cashback for using it, a no brainer really!
I'll say - all I get is interest added on
Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2015, 07:38 PM

I've had a credit card for years and never paid a penny interest, I shop online for many things, it's handy too if you are out and about then see something a bit expensive so use my card. I always pay in full when the statement comes, I don't buy anything I have not the money in the bank to cover it.

Honey how do you get cash back?
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

16-12-2015, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Gabi ->
I've had a credit card for years and never paid a penny interest, I shop online for many things, it's handy too if you are out and about then see something a bit expensive so use my card. I always pay in full when the statement comes, I don't buy anything I have not the money in the bank to cover it.

Honey how do you get cash back?
I'll be doing the same Gabi - paid off next month

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top