Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 11:47 PM

Re: Warning to women drivers

I'm assuming he means people's cars are being stolen while they're loading their cars with whatever they shopped for. What, do people actually start their cars, then get back out to unload their merchandise while leaving the car run? If that's the case, that's rather... well, not smart.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2016, 11:53 PM

Oh and then there are the people who cruise parking lots (what you call car parks) looking for women loading up their cars with their purses still sitting in the shopping cart (I believe you call them trolleys) and when the women are not paying attention, they (the thieves) jump out of their cars, grab the woman's purse and speed away. That was happening a lot here a few years ago.
GillyT
Nottingham, England
GillyT is female  GillyT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 12:09 AM

Lovely world innit ? You were right about loading shopping into the car boot (trunk). Sometimes cars unlock automatically when the ignition is turned on even though one can use the key to unlock the boot without having to open the car door. I suppose it is just a silly habit that some people get into, and leave themselves vulnerable to crime.

A dirty trick that seems to be spreading across the country is somebody driving a car bangs into the rear of your car . Naturally the driver in the front vehicle gets out to investigate any damage and to exchange insurance details etc.,naively leaving keys in the ignition. Whilst they walk towards the offending vehicle, somebody jumps into the front vehicle, turns on the ignition if it is not on already, and floors the accelerator - one car gone!
Linda0818
USA

05-01-2016, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by GillyT ->
Lovely world innit ? You were right about loading shopping into the car boot (trunk). Sometimes cars unlock automatically when the ignition is turned on even though one can use the key to unlock the boot without having to open the car door. I suppose it is just a silly habit that some people get into, and leave themselves vulnerable to crime.

A dirty trick that seems to be spreading across the country is somebody driving a car bangs into the rear of your car . Naturally the driver in the front vehicle gets out to investigate any damage and to exchange insurance details etc.,naively leaving keys in the ignition. Whilst they walk towards the offending vehicle, somebody jumps into the front vehicle, turns on the ignition if it is not on already, and floors the accelerator - one car gone!
That's awful

I don't understand people anymore.

Oh and I didn't mean to seem rude with my one post to you (after reading it I realize I sounded a bit snarky) it's just me being American and all and you all word things a little differently than we do, I don't always understand what's being said. Either that or I'm just a bloomin' idiot, LOL
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by Linda0818 ->
I'm not quite following what you mean by people loading up shopping in car parks. Do you mean unloading their groceries into their cars?

Yes Linda. It's just another small hiccup with our language, don't worry. I imagine Judd meant that while people are packing their shopping into their boot at the back of their car, someone jumps in the front and drives off.
Mind you, presumably people would have to leave their keys in the ignition for that to happen, which is a pretty daft thing to do anyway.

My friend did that last week. She left the keys in the ignition while she got out to open her field gate. Fortunately she had switched the engine off, because her dogs managed to lock the doors from the inside and someone had to break the side window to get back in!
Linda0818
USA

05-01-2016, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Yes Linda. It's just another small hiccup with our language, don't worry. I imagine Judd meant that while people are packing their shopping into their boot at the back of their car, someone jumps in the front and drives off.
Mind you, presumably people would have to leave their keys in the ignition for that to happen, which is a pretty daft thing to do anyway.

My friend did that last week. She left the keys in the ignition while she got out to open her field gate. Fortunately she had switched the engine off, because her dogs managed to lock the doors from the inside and someone had to break the side window to get back in!
Oh dear, not good. One of them probably stepped onto the lock switch. I always carry an extra key in my bag in case I get locked out of my car. That's from locking my keys in my car years ago. I parked, turned the car off, got out (forgetting to remove my keys from the ignition) hit the switch to lock all the doors, then closed the driver's side door. Car locked, keys inside. I've carried a spare key ever since.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 06:33 AM

I ALWAYS take the keys with me whenever I get out of my car if it's only for half a minute.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 06:36 AM

Another warning: as a way to get you to part with large sums of money certain unscrupulous commercial organisations have invented a make believe character which they will try to persuade you is real.

Santa Claus is not real, he is made up.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 08:39 AM

I thought the op wanted to know if it was true, I don't think I will bother in future trying to find these things out if no one really cares if they are or not. Puzzling place this forum these days people ask questions but don't want them answered.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-01-2016, 11:32 AM

Then there is the scam where you get into your car in a car park or petrol/gas station and see ticket/leaflet on the rear window under the wiper. You get out to get it, a barstuard jumps into your car and off it goes.
Be carefull and vigilant out there.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top