Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 12:16 AM

Re: Should junk food be banned from schools?

I was brought up in a junk food era, late 60's and 70's.
My mum made sure I ate well and healthy.

The school meals weren't particularly brilliant but they were tastey and hot.

Ban it, I say.
Butterfly2013
Canada
Butterfly2013 is female  Butterfly2013 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 08:06 PM

Yes, definitely, junk food should be banned in schools. They are banned here in many schools, already. Many children eat bad as it is, at least they can have a balanced meal while at school. I also believe that schools should have classes on nutrition.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2016, 08:21 PM

Agree, junk food should not be available in schools, however the alternatives need to be made and presented with creative innovation.

You can't educate kids on food issues at that age imo. They have far too many pressures and emotions raging around their heads. Kids respond to whatever makes them feel good so sugary products will always be selected as will fatty foods like pizza and chips.

There needs to be nutritious fare but at the same time it needs to be likeable and desirable from the kids perspective.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 08:56 PM

yes indeed it should -mainly that kids of today are getting it at home' or at week-ends' when kids are hungry they will except a different variety of menu' jamie olivers been trying to get the goverment to back this ...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 09:48 PM

My husband fills vending machines they trailed healthy options fruit and salads and healthy sandwiches and threw out so much food it was criminal, fill the machines with chocolates and crisps and no waste at all it's all eaten. You can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink I think is the appropriate saying.
tina
Lincolnshire
tina is female  tina has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-03-2016, 10:55 PM

yes it should be banned and more wholesome food introduced. years ago we were taught to cook and about nutrition in the home economic class, do they still teach that in the curriculum.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Azz ->
Should junk food be banned from schools?
Absolutely! It is child abuse to make defenceless kids eat awful things like lentils, broccoli, cabbage and those other unspeakably disgusting vegetables.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Absolutely! It is child abuse to make defenceless kids eat awful things like lentils, broccoli, cabbage and those other unspeakably disgusting vegetables.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-03-2016, 08:08 AM

One point, if its banned in schools you would have to ban pupils from leaving school during lunch breaks.

I live near two secondary schools. The dogs often find sandwiches chucked in the bushes in the park en-route to the school. At lunchtime the local shops are full of teenagers buying doughnuts, crisps, energy drinks, sweets and other fatty sugar loaded rubbish.
The school might well be selling/serving healthy food but if the kids aren't there theres no point.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-03-2016, 12:31 PM

They tried this at my grandson's school and the kids simply walked to Asda or the chippy at lunch time, both about 10 minutes away...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top