Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2016, 10:27 AM

Re: How I missed that !

I'm so pleased that others had good old Bacon and Cabbage too. Art, you made me laugh when I read that your mum used to put the cabbage leaves in whole. It reminded me again of my lovely dad, a big Irish Miner, definitely not a domesticated man. Mum and I had to watch him if he ever decided to "help" in the kitchen and prepare the cabbage. Because we had a big garden, dad grew our own cabbages but his idea of washing cabbage was to fill the sink with cold water, pour salt into the water to get rid of any slugs on the cabbage and just swish the cabbage leaves around before putting the whole leaves into a big saucepan. Mum always had to shoo him out of the kitchen on some pretext or other and then empty the saucepan out, wash the cabbage properly before putting back on the stove.
We loved our dad dearly but I know we kids would never have eaten the Bacon and Cabbage if it had ever been him that had cooked it. (sorry dad). .

Talking of Soda Bread. Yum, Mum had one of those old ovens with a fire (first Arga's!) and she used to bake Soda Bread and Irish Currant Loaves the size of Car Wheels !!
The smells were divine, She would expertly cut a long slice off for each of us and we would slather the Kerrygold butter on with lashings of jam.
I so wish I had learned how to bake them, unfortunately I was too busy eating them !!

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top